Let's all laugh at Pentax

People laughed at Pentax's "SLR Of Many Colours", but I gather they've been selling like hot cakes, so maybe this retro compact isn't as daft as we might think!
It's a shame they couldn't cram an EVF into the bump, though.

if the point of these retro cameras is the design...couldn't they have come up with a better design?

The white one is sort of passable, it's the black one with typical compact zoom lens styling that got me. Oh well, at least we'll get some entertaining articles how the camera discriminates against certain dog breeds :)

I'm waiting for a red or blue one. Or am I confusing the K-x with the compact?

I don't know what is better for built-in flash - to move away from lens center or to raise over lens?
I agree that it looks different, even if it does same as zillion of digicams.

Regarding colorful Pentax DSLRs I have to admit that it is damn smart idea. Those amateurs complaining how this degrades idea of DSLR - are you aware that this days DSLR officially is camera for housewives? There's nothing wrong if mass product is made to appear as mass product. Heck, even major's pro bodies are made in different color from pro black - white editions for hot conditions :)

Personally I'd buy colored Pentax DSLR instead of Im-serious-shooter-black-body.

If I was buying a basic compact I'd want something that easily slips into my pocket and not sacrifice the size for the bulky looks. If it surved a purpose, sure.

I think pretty much the same about SLR-"styled" EVF cameras like the GH-1 or the Samsung NX. Funny how nobody had the idea about a rangefinder-shaped camera with a integrated EVF yet.

But this camera doesn't even have a viewfinder at all :rolleyes:

Hey, look at it on the bright side..

Pentax could also have made a retro model shaped like a 67, complete with the wooden grip and 4 pounds of weight thrown in. :D

This 110 shape isn't half bad, especially the white one.. I quite like it.

Do the calculations.

Walk around with an M3 hanging around around your neck and you're only going to attract people who are as obsessed with odd looking old cameras as you are.

Try hanging the white Pentax around your neck ... as Ted White has pointed out this camera attracts twenty year old females!

Muhahaha. Sold! :D

Wait, I already have a herd of twentysomethings around me that I make pictures of. And yes, I am pretty sure they would think the Pentax is cute. I think it looks nice, but it has nothing to add as a digital compact. So to me it's useless. Strange that I don't recall anyone mentionong a digital 110 Super before. These things are nice and very small, and the sensor shouldn't be too expensive either... while still being a lot larger than in a typical compact...

When was the last time someone linked a new point and shoot press release on RFF?

Just sayin'.

Good point. Most seems to think Pentax should be a wee bit ashamed. Some think it looks rather cute, while offering nothing special in terms of P&S camera features.

BUT (it just came to me), why not make a camera with a (good) P&S sensor that actually has interchangable lenses? So we can go from zooms to fast primes. Think how well a fast prime would work on something like the Fuji F-31fd...

Good point. Most seems to think Pentax should be a wee bit ashamed. Some think it looks rather cute, while offering nothing special in terms of P&S camera features.

BUT (it just came to me), why not make a camera with a (good) P&S sensor that actually has interchangable lenses? So we can go from zooms to fast primes. Think how well a fast prime would work on something like the Fuji F-31fd...

Actually this is a very good idea, Ronald.

Extra small and cute removable pancake primes for this camera would have sold like hot cakes in winter especially for the target market of young women (or men).

Pentax can even provide an adapter that will allow old Auto110 lenses to be used, of course with the crop factor of 5x :)

Pentax can even provide an adapter that will allow old Auto110 lenses to be used, of course with the crop factor of 5x :)

With the current size of most point-n-shoot digital sensors, the crop factor would be about 3x or a tad more, but with APS-C, not bad at all:

110 film is 13mm by 17mm.
4/3 sensor is 13.50mm by 18mm.
Typical digicam is 1/2.7", which is 4mm by 5.30mm.

Back