Light seals for Plaubel Makina 670

M

mojojones

My venerable Plaubel Makina 670 has developed a light leak due to deteriorating light seals. Is this a do it yourself repair? Where could I get the right material?

Thanks,

John

I can't remember the guy's name, but there was a guy (Josh?) who had a web page somewhere about "the camera foam project" or something like that. He had a nearly religious conviction about replacing light seal foam in old cameras, and loads of info on how to do it correctly. A google search on "camera foam light seals" turns up eBay auctions with loads of pictures and info. about doing this, and includes a kit with various sizes of foam and a couple of simple yet specailized tools for replacing lights seal foam. I'm not too sure if the Pauble Makina (excellent camera, BTW) is one which is specifically supported, but it might help. Anyway, it should be a do-it-yourself project. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Between the website and the kit on ebay I should be on my way. I knew about the Ken Rockwell site and loved the zone system adaptation. Seems like a great use of the (semi) spot meter. I had actually done this many years ago but it looked so cheesy I ripped it off. Think I'll try it again with nice inkjet printouts on self-adhesive paper. Although, I've always just placed the shadows in zone III and let modern film latitude to take care of the rest. Even I can count from 3 to 5. ;)

John

Back