Lightroom Catalog gets corrupted when I swap SSD into my other editing computer???

haring

Established
Local time
4:51 PM
I have 2 identical computers with the same Lightroom running on them.

I usually work on my home computer editing wedding photos in the morning. When I need to go to the office I take my editing SSD drive with me and istall it into my other PC. This is not an external SSD but a regular secondary drive I insert into the computer and close the housing.

Every time I swap the SSD drive the Lightroom catalog gets corrupted. The backup copy works so I use that all the time but the main catalog is corrupted.

My question: Why does it create a problem that I remove the SSD and insert it into another computer? Both computers has the same processor, motherboard, etc. I make sure I completely shut down the computer before I remove the drive.

Any ideas????

This isn't an answer to your question, but I think the preferred method of working with two LR catalogs would be to make a copy of your catalog on an external drive from the machine you started on and copy that to the machine you are going to work on. How are you keeping the current catalogs synced?

Are you using a software command or utilities program to unmount the editing SSD drive from your PCs before it's physically removed?

Are you closing LR before removing or inserting the editing SSD drive?

I assume the serial numbers for both LR installs are identical.

It does sound like the there are files being left open when the drive is removed. Lightroom has some very peculiar and annoying issues with maintaining database integrity which Adobe has apparently forgotten how to fix. That said, if you're shutting down your PC before you remove/install the SSD that would typically flush the write cache at both the operating system and the hardware (SSD) level.

Just in case, check and see if "Write Cache Buffer Flushing" is turned off. It should usually be turned on (i.e. not disabled).

You might also want to try optimizing the Lightroom catalog right before shutting down. Perhaps that will put the catalog into a tidier state for the other machine to pick up and use.

My immediate thought is whether the SSD device is named and configured identically with respect to both computers. Ditto with the settings within your Lightroom on your second PC for the catalog. They would be the first things I would check. But as others comment LR is a pain as regards its catalog stability.

Back