Lightroom update confusion

Local time
11:28 AM
Hi all, sorry in advance for what is probably a very, very dumb question...

So... Recently picked up a Z6 and my copy of Lightroom won't open the NEF raws. No problem, I figured I'd just update LR/ACR and all will be well*.

Except, I can't figure out a) which type of Lightroom I have, b) what type of Lightroom to update to, and c) how to update it...

I started using Lightroom a few years ago on a subscription and admit that I probably haven't updated it since...

(I'm using macOS 10.15.5)

If I open the About Lightroom pane in the app, it says I have version 2015.5.1 and Camera Raw 9.5.1

If I click on HELP>UPDATES in the app, nothing happens.

My Creative Cloud account says I have Lightroom Classic v6.0 downloaded and up to date, and my subscription allows me to install 'Lightroom' and 'Lightroom Classic' v9.2.1. This confuses me as I thought v6.0 was a one-time purchase, and I've always been on a subscription.

What do I have?

What do I need?

Thanks in advance :)

*I'm not asking for alternatives to LR ;)

I had real issues a couple of years ago with my standalone version of LR. In the end I actually contacted LR Help (or whatever they call themselves) who then took control of my computer, didn't empty the bank account, and did what necessary updates that were needed and since then fine. It really did save a heck of a lot of useless faffing on my part and I didn't need to find an alternative...

I had real issues a couple of years ago with my standalone version of LR. In the end I actually contacted LR Help (or whatever they call themselves) who then took control of my computer, didn't empty the bank account, and did what necessary updates that were needed and since then fine. It really did save a heck of a lot of useless faffing on my part and I didn't need to find an alternative...

I might end up going down this route.

I've been trying to figure it out on google and just go cross-eyed reading explainer blogs.

On a mac, click the Adobe Creative Cloud logo in your menu bar at the top of the screen. A window will appear. Click the "Apps" tab on that window and it will show a list of the adobe programs you have installed.

-If the software is up to date, it'll say so and have a button to open the program.

-If the program has an update available, and your computer is compatible with the update, an "Update" button will show. click it to update that program.

-If the program has an update available, but your computer is too old to run it, you'll see a message telling you that the update is not compatible with your system. I have this issue because my Mac Pro is ancient, so I have to run earlier versions of the Creative Cloud programs I am paying the subscription for.

On a mac, click the Adobe Creative Cloud logo in your menu bar at the top of the screen. A window will appear. Click the "Apps" tab on that window and it will show a list of the adobe programs you have installed.

-If the software is up to date, it'll say so and have a button to open the program.

-If the program has an update available, and your computer is compatible with the update, an "Update" button will show. click it to update that program.

-If the program has an update available, but your computer is too old to run it, you'll see a message telling you that the update is not compatible with your system. I have this issue because my Mac Pro is ancient, so I have to run earlier versions of the Creative Cloud programs I am paying the subscription for.

As per my OP...

My Creative Cloud account says I have Lightroom Classic v6.0 downloaded and up to date, and my subscription allows me to install 'Lightroom' and 'Lightroom Classic' v9.2.1. This confuses me as I thought v6.0 was a one-time purchase, and I've always been on a subscription.

Creative Cloud says Lightroom Classic v6.0 is up to date ('Open')*.

For Lightroom is says 'Install'.

For Lightroom Classic v9.2.1 it says 'Install'.

It doesn't say anything is incompatible with my system (I'm running the current version of macOS).

What is the difference between 'Lightroom Classic v6.0', 'Lightroom' and 'Lightroom Classic v9.2.1'?

*But then the app itself says 'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC v2015.5.1'. Is that the same thing as Lightroom Classic v6.0?

So so so confused.

Lightroom is the subscription cloud storage version.
Lightroom Classic v6 is the standalone version of classic you have previously purchased.
Lightroom Classic v9.2.1 is the most current version of Classic, but will be only be available as long as you pay the subscription.

Lightroom is the subscription cloud storage version.
Lightroom Classic v6 is the standalone version of classic you have previously purchased.
Lightroom Classic v9.2.1 is the most current version of Classic, but will be only be available as long as you pay the subscription.

Ok thanks.

I never bought a standalone version. I’ve only ever used Lightroom as a CC subscriber.

So can I update to v9.2.1 without stuffing around with libraries and the like?

Glad to hear that you are back in business!

For others who may have maxed out their older computers and cannot upgrade, Adobe does offer DNG Converter, which converts new camera RAW profiles to the more universal DNG raw format. After the conversion, the DNGs will open in older versions of Lightroom, Photoshop and other programs. It is still free as far as I know.

The converter is quick and easy to use.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

The current version of LR Classic is 9.2.1. The current version of ACR is 12.2.1. The current version of Adobe Creative Cloud management software is 5.1.0.407. If you have the monthly subscription, make sure ACC is installed to get notices of LR and ACR upgrades which occur about every month. There are good reasons to keep ACR up to date because it IS the Develop module in LR and there are occasional new features you will want such as Dehaze and Texture. And you will be ready when you use a camera with a different raw format.

Hi all, sorry in advance for what is probably a very, very dumb question...

So... Recently picked up a Z6 and my copy of Lightroom won't open the NEF raws. ..............)

Nick,

Now that you have gotten that far, it is worth noting something about LR and your new Z6. The default profile with which Adobe uses to open and process files from the Z cameras is their “Adobe Standard” color profile. Don’t just automatically accept this and move on. In the color profile box, right below where it says “Adobe Standard” is a pictogram which looks like 4 tiny squares. Click on that and it will present you with a whole host of profile options. Scroll down and you will come upon something recent which makes LR and the Z cameras a great match___LR now allows you to open files with Adobe’s emulation of Nikon’s in camera profiles, all of them. This is great, and most people find that they prefer processing with the Nikon profiles, perhaps “Camera Standard” for starters, for better colors, rather than the Adobe default, but, of course, it does come down to user preferences.

Nick,

Now that you have gotten that far, it is worth noting something about LR and your new Z6. The default profile with which Adobe uses to open and process files from the Z cameras is their “Adobe Standard” color profile. Don’t just automatically accept this and move on. In the color profile box, right below where it says “Adobe Standard” is a pictogram which looks like 4 tiny squares. Click on that and it will present you with a whole host of profile options. Scroll down and you will come upon something recent which makes LR and the Z cameras a great match___LR now allows you to open files with Adobe’s emulation of Nikon’s in camera profiles, all of them. This is great, and most people find that they prefer processing with the Nikon profiles, perhaps “Camera Standard” for starters, for better colors, rather than the Adobe default, but, of course, it does come down to user preferences.

Thanks for the tip!

Back