Lightweight 120

Rvl

Local time
1:06 PM
Looking for 120 with a big finder , compact , quiet and lightweight
I have a Fuji 690 and a Moskva 5(arms are messed up)
I have owned TLR's(too slow for me) and Speed Graphics(too big but tres cool , stripped to wood)

Thinking about a
Mamiya 6(the newer ones)
Fuji GF670
Fuji 6x4.5 (with rollbar)

Any others I should be on the prowl for?

Thanks

Robert VanLane

All compact and modern MF-cameras have already been mentioned.
- Plaubel Makina 67/670/w67 (folder)
- Fuji GF670/Voigtländer Bessa III (folder)
- Mamiya 6/6MF (coll. lens)
- Fuji GS645 (folder)

Plaubel Makina 67

Compact, but not really lightweight - it is heavier than all 6x4.5 SLRs I've ever handled. The Mamiya 6 is a bit lighter, but makes up for that in bulk.

The Fuji GS and GA series 6x45 rangefinders and AF cameras are closest to the requirements. But even these are four times the size and twice the weight of a Voigtländer Perkeo or Bessa 66 - modern seems to exclude light and compact where it comes to medium format, but the finders on the old ones are tiny. Some of the late 6x6 folders (e.g. the Fuji and Mamiya models from the sixties) have fairly big finders - maybe these would be an option? Or an auxiliary finder - the Voigtländer Kontur finder is a bit odd but unbeaten when it comes to its eye-point.

I'd take that off the list. I used one of those for a few years and had to get the lens mount repaired several times. The roll bar is there for a reason and, unfortunately, doesn't do the business.

Pity really. Superb lens, very nice finder, light as a cloud.

GF670 and Mamiya 7 (and presumably 6, never used one) are outstanding cameras. I think the GF670 is probably the best all round camera going for modern features, like AE, portability and image quality. If you want other lenses, then the Mamiya 7 is probably the best.

I now use a Zeiss Super Ikonta III, which I think is a lovely camera, great value and very small (a lot smaller than the GF670), but you do have issues like frame spacing, and of course, there is no meter.

Looking for 120 with a big finder , compact , quiet and lightweight
Thinking about a
Mamiya 6(the newer ones)
Fuji GF670

The GF670 (Bessa III) is the peach in that list to me, if a fixed lens camera is what you're after. I wouldn't buy another Fuji 645 ... had three, two had problems.

The Bessa III is large compared to the classic folders ... Balda Baldix or Voigtländer Perkeo II ... from the 1950s. If compact is the priority, and you're willing to forego the big finder and in-camera meter, the Perkeo II is my recommendation. A good example is a very slick operating camera, very well built, and the Color Skopar 80mm f/3.5 lens is terrific.

Be extremely cautious on GS645 Folder...

Be extremely cautious on GS645 Folder...

This camera was built, as it turns out for a very short period of time. It was a good idea, but has two faults in design and execution.

Fuji used a synthetic material for the bellows, which easily developed pinholes (not patchable) in a short period of usage. The camera was in production for approximately a year before this problem sidelined it. Over time, I purchased about 4 of these camera's that had bad bellows (purposely) and had new bellows installed. That was cheaper in the long run than what people were asking for one's that supposedly had no problem. I would never buy a GS645 folder that did not have documentation for a replacement bellows.

I quit buying them when I ran into the second problem. The shutters stick in extreme cold weather. The kind of cold that NE and northern MidWest states experience in the winter. I spoke with the fellow who does all my Fuji work, and he indicated that the 75mm lens shutter on the GS645 sticking in cold is a known issue and not repairable. OOOPS!.. My last GS645 folder.

The camera was a great idea. In fact, when Fuji built the GF570 and Bessa 667 for Cosina, the strut assembly and body design mimics almost exactly the structure of the GS645.

If you get a GS645 with a new bellows, and are not a cold weather image devotee... Great Little Camera, good meter, great rangefinder, Odd Bulb situation. However, it also turned out that the camera, folded was not as small as most think.

The camera for me, that superceded the older model fuji 645s, was the GA645Zi. Wonderful camera. Turns out no much bigger than the GS series cameras in 645.

WATCH out for Bellows on the GS645.. I seriously doubt that an original bellows survives, or if it does because of non use, it will shortly disintegrate with moderate to heavy use.

Too bad, good design, good idea, poor execution. Like I said on my own experience, this was a camera made in low numbers for a short period. Yet in a span of 4-5 years I was able to find 4 with bad bellows and low usage. The camera being sold by most presuming a good bellows is also HIGHLY overpriced, hitting $500-$700. Every bad bellows example I bought, I paid under $200 for and about $140-150 to have a new bellows installed by Frank Marshman, Camera Wiz.

In fact, I just received my G690bl back from a complete CLA and back door repair, and a shutter service on the lens, from Frank yesterday.

Getting back to your OP, if I were still desiring to shoot the small frame MF 645, I would definitely get another Fuji GA645Zi. AF, short Zoom Range, good meter, accurate rangefinder, quiet shutter, auto transport, etc. Just plain trouble free. I sold one with 234,000 shutter actuations and working just fine.

With one lens...perhaps.

With one lens...perhaps.

Why not Mamiya 7?

Personally, while I buy and sell camera gear, and also buy a lot of MF gear for my own use, and while I seriously respect Mamiya glass, which I have used on Mamiya Press Universal, 645, and RB models, I have never been willing to step up to the outrageous prices people ask for the Mamiya 7 models.

I haven't looked for a few years, but I suspect a Mamiya 7 in good condition, with at least two lenses will set one back $2000 plus. I can buy two Fujifilm big rangefinders, the 65mm GSW model III, and the 90mm GSW model III with low shutter counts for less, and get a bigger format image. And I am aware the Mam, has a meter. Handheld works for me just fine, as does Sunny 16.

And as Godfrey and Buddha said....

And as Godfrey and Buddha said....

"I am one with a Perkeo II"

But I would like to be able to say, "I am one with a Perkeo E", the coupled rangefinder model. Hard to find and spendy.

Well, I bought a Zeiss Nettar for $25, bellows in good shape too. Squinty VF but lightweight and quiet. Don't know if you could get along with a 3 element f6.3 75mm lens and scale focus, bit slow all around. (but then, that describes me too)

The Mamiya 7 and Fuji GF670 are great choices.
I just bought a Belair 6x12. It was cheap so I thought I would give it a try. It arrived a couple of days ago and I am flabbergasted by the low build quality. Mt expectations were low, but my expectations were not met. I am going to give it a try with a couple of rolls and let everyone know the results.

On the GS645 Folder, I've owned one since it came out in '86. The bellows did develop pinholes about 5 years ago and I did have it replaced with a nylon bellows recently. Regarding cold weather usage, I live in the northeast with nasty winters. When it's that cold, my fingers have given out from the cold before the camera did. It's a sturdy little camera and will give good service if handled well.

I have GS 645 too . They are a lovely little camera though from experience a touch delicate - I have had a few film counter problems but the compact size with its folding front coupled with the sharp fujinon lens make it worth it. I would be be hard pushed to part with mine now

Chris

The camera was a great idea. In fact, when Fuji built the GF570 and Bessa 667 for Cosina, the strut assembly and body design mimics almost exactly the structure of the GS645. ...

The strut and standard assembly is also very similar to the design used in the Voigtländer Perkeo II.

I have the Bessa III and Perkeo II sitting on my desk right now, side by side. By comparison to the Perkeo II, the Bessa III is huge. I wish they could have made the Bessa III a bit more compact.

Back