Linhof Technorama 612 PC II

Dante_Stella

Rex canum cattorumque
Local time
2:46 PM
A couple of quick questions:

1. How compact is the Linhof Technorama 612 PC series? The body looks pretty small from front to back.

2. Is the 8mm pre-shift enough for most purposes with a 58mm lens?

Thanks,
Dante

The camera is difficult to describe as compact - it's bulkier than a Hasselblad, but smaller than a RB67. I can take a picture with a M6 for scale tomorrow.

The built in fixed shift is great for landscapes - also works well upside down as fall.
For architecture cropping to e.g. 6x9 from a vertical with the 58mm is more useful than the built in shift.

I'm on my second GAS pass with this camera ; owned one 10+ years ago with 58 and 135 lenses - only recently bought the same setup again.

Linhof next to M6

Linhof612_M6.jpg

Linhof612_M6top.jpg

Thanks guys! All of the pictures have been helpful. Right now, my quandary is between a Linhof with a 58 and a Horseman 612 with a 45.

- The Linhof is wider but flatter
- The Horseman is fatter but narrower (because the spools are behind the film plane)

The film path is obviously a question; I would have to imagine that the Linhof holds film flatter (because it's a straight path), but against that, the Horseman can interchange magazines and formats.

Frozenintime, how did you attach a filter to the viewfinder? Also, why yellow?

Dante

Frozenintime, how did you attach a filter to the viewfinder? Also, why yellow?

Dante

The previous owner had gone to the trouble of machining down a filter and epoxying it to the finder.

It's not a total success as it vignettes the 58mm view a bit when a filter is mounted on the ring; so my thoughts are now that it was done, not for pre-visualization, but to orientate a polarizer when using the 135mm.

Donald.

I'd back the Linhof as more reliable, though.

Cheers,

R.
Yeah Roger..mine was pretty reliable..until I was in a monestary in India..and it started skipping frames..I really should have it looked at..but I haven't shot it in years..but..its hardly bigger than a Leica M though...so just crop the top..and you have 6x12 proportions if needed..

For what it is..it is compact...at 6x12..
I would luv to have one..
But nowhere near as compact as a Brooks veriwide..at 6x10..

Been there, done that. The transport is, to put it mildly, flaky, and the frames are 20mm shorter than a Horseman and 25mm shorter than a Linhof frame.

Dante

At what point, though, do you decide to crop? A full-size "6x9" (at 56x84mm) can be cropped to 42x84mm and with the right camera/lens, the quality can be excellent.

I've also used a Horseman 6x12 back (which I still have) on an MPP Mk. VII (which I don't). The trouble with 6x12 and worse still 6x17 -- and I've used at least two examples of both, Linhof and A.N. Other in both cases -- is that the film gets used up very quickly.

And I keep idly fantasizing about a simple spacer: a 4x5 inch back (to take the Horseman) on one side and an Alpa lens panel on the other...

Cheers,

R.

Back