loose ends transitioning to new forum software...feel free to add to this list

Ignore list, notifications are the biggies for me. Maybe a more streamlined image posting mechanic as well.

Hey, Robert/splitimagereview, you have 3 separate posts up there and each one shows your total number of posts to be 3114, so I guess that’s something else that’s not working.
And how do you know you are not on my ignore list? You might be, but it’s not working, ha, ha.
And my notifications preferences window is set to be pretty much the opposite of yours, I have every single box unchecked, and I get notifications for everything under the sun, though not by email, just the unrelenting hazard light at the top of every page.

Ha!

So when I visit the hazard light, one would expect there to be notifications for post #21, 22, and 23 in this thread. But no...

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.18.14 AM.png

someone is lurking in the thread, and making some small changes, it appears.

I suppose with all these continuing problems over the course of several months, I wouldn't want to make an appearance, either...

When the site transitioned I updated my links.
Now when I click on my link to the main page of this site ( i.e. RFF-Home-Page - Rangefinderforum.com ) I often get the following response first time round: "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."
If I then click on the link again it often works but not always - sometimes I just need to shut down the page and come back half an hour later.
At other times the site is very slow to load. This may be a traffic issue I suppose but when it gets too bad all I can do is shut it down and return later.
None of these are deal breakers- but they are an irritation sometimes.

Always look on the bright side of life

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And

Always look on the light side of life

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing
And

(Come on)
Always look on the right side of life

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin
Give the audience a grin
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow

So always look on the bright side of death
A just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughin' as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you
And

(C'mon Brian, cheer up)

(Worse things happen at sea you know)

I mean, what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
You're going back to nothing
What have you lost? Nothing

Nothing will come from nothing, ya know what they say
Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin (Always look on the right side of life)
There ya are, see
It's the end of the film
Incidentally this record's available in the foyer (Always look on the right side of life)

Some of us got to live as well, you know
(Always look on the right side of life)
Who do you think pays for all this rubbish
They're not gonna make their money back, you know
I told them, I said to him, Bernie, I said they'll never make their money back

-- Eric Idle

Needs a "Go to last page" button at the top of multi-page threads. Currently you have to type the last page number or click "Next page", "Next page", "Next page"...

Needs a "Go to last page" button at the top of multi-page threads. Currently you have to type the last page number or click "Next page", "Next page", "Next page"...

Go to "Filter" in the upper right corner. Press today, this week, etc. This will take you to the last post.

Jim B.

I'm not disagreeing with the need for a "go to last page" at the top, but you don't have to do what you're doing now. If you drop to the bottom of the page (CMD+down key on most Mac browsers; not sure what the equivalent is on Windows), the page number links between the previous and next buttons will always contain the last page, which makes life a little bit easier.

I did a web search for 'collapsible rigid’ and this link showed up:

https://rangefinderforum com/forums/showthread.php?t=102337

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.00.28 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	4769257

Clicking on that link results in this error:

"Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

Doing a search within rff, searching titles only, for the text 'collapsible rigid' shows this thread:

https://www.rangefinderforum com/node/104703

There apparently still is no code in place that translates old forum links to the new software.

This is perhaps the most important and fundamental task when updating forum software...

The other things in the original post from two weeks ago haven't been addressed:

broken links on smilies (and better yet, install modern unicode emojis and junk the smilies)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.06.32 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	4769258

font sizes do not match between themes

Change the text on home page to: "The same group of pictures from the gallery"

reinstall the old rff logo (with necessary adjustments to fit)

Also the little link that will take readers to the last post is still virtually invisible on the dark theme:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.08.50 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	4769260

The good news is that post counts do still seem to be increasing, however. :cool:

Good Morning, not sure if this is the right place for this but my uploaded images to the gallery are not looking very good. I've increased the file size as now allowed, but the image looks compressed pretty heavily. Is that normal?

I'm not disagreeing with the need for a "go to last page" at the top, but you don't have to do what you're doing now. If you drop to the bottom of the page (CMD+down key on most Mac browsers; not sure what the equivalent is on Windows), the page number links between the previous and next buttons will always contain the last page, which makes life a little bit easier.

Or, click "Latest Activity" at the top.

Would still very much like my old classifieds Member feedback back. I spent years and years gathering good feedback on expensive items that helped me establish a good buying/selling reputation both here and elsewhere. As it stands now, I'm not going to be using the Classifieds here anymore and have migrated to FredMiranda, begrudgingly. Really hope to be able to get my feedback retrieved here and available for future use.

Or, click "Latest Activity" at the top.

The problem with that is it totally reverses the post order - i.e. you end up with the most recent posts at the top of the page, and the oldest at the bottom. I'm sure some folks are okay with that, but to me, it makes things nigh-impossible to follow.

The problem with that is it totally reverses the post order - i.e. you end up with the most recent posts at the top of the page, and the oldest at the bottom. I'm sure some folks are okay with that, but to me, it makes things nigh-impossible to follow.

Yeah, it does make for an odd reading experience.

I like the thread navigation at LUF, with all page links in the same layout at both top and bottom.

John

The frustrating thing is that none of these are particularly difficult for someone familiar with vbulletin. Legacy feedback, and a consistent look between the classifieds and the rest of the site would be a welcome addition too.

There appears to just not be sufficient motivation.

please disable the self-click counts in the Gallery. The "view counts" don't mean anything if clicking your own photo or adding details after posting it raises "views". The old Gallery didn't do this; now when posting a picture and making any single change on my own photo after posting, like editing the lens used, aperture, description, etc and saving or clicking it x-times, it shows x-more 'views'. On old platform it was helpful f/b when a photo got actual 'views' by just non-o/p viewers.

Back