Lost Cartier-Bresson photos of Jersey

I'm pretty sure he took these pictures with the collapsible Summicron. Using a collapsible Summicron on the CL is dangerous, because when collapsed the lens can damage the arm of the exposure meter. However, collapsing the lens can prevented with some tape. Cartier-Bresson never used an exposure meter and the collapsible Summicron has an infinity lock too.

Erik.
It's possible, he was very keen on the collapsible. I thought he used the rigid because as you say the collapsible makes an uneasy mate for the CL. And then I saw the grip. As far as I recall (it's many years since I had one) the collapsible is focused most easily with the infinity lock pin. The distance scale ring is not easy to turn. Of course, that doesn't t mean it can't be turned.

It's possible, he was very keen on the collapsible. I thought he used the rigid because as you say the collapsible makes an uneasy mate for the CL. And then I saw the grip. As far as I recall (it's many years since I had one) the collapsible is focused most easily with the infinity lock pin. The distance scale ring is not easy to turn. Of course, that doesn't t mean it can't be turned.
The collapsible Summicron is a fine lens, but I prefer the bokeh of the Summar. In my view a Summar in perfect condition is the finest 50mm Leica lens, but the front lens is vulnerable.

gelatin silver print (summar 50mm f2) leica lll

Erik.

509-Rose-in-B-2021-1118-gre.jpg

The collapsible Summicron is a fine lens, but I prefer the bokeh of the Summar. In my view a Summar in perfect condition is the finest 50mm Leica lens, but the front lens is vulnerable.

gelatin silver print (summar 50mm f2) leica lll

Erik.

View attachment 4816996
You did catch me by surprise with your choice of lens.

The Summar is very idiosyncratic. The bokeh can be quite swirly. I briefly had one ages ago, bought it for pennies. They are not so cheap any more! Character lenses seem to be in the ascendant right now. I think a lot of photographers are looking for ways to diverge from the accuracy that new lenses and digital offer. Leica got a whiff of that, that is why they are reissuing older lens designs.

Heck, I forgot what this thread was about. Oh, yeah...😁

Reactions: JMF
Back