Lost Leica M8 and Summicron 28mm in taxi, Brighton UK

Ummm... Yes, it is (or might be) stolen. Something 'abandoned`is almost certainly likely still to have an owner. As far as I recall, the leading case in the UK was a dead pig, buried by its owner because it had died of disease, but dug up and sold. Once the taxi company has hoist this on board, they might be a bit more eager too help. If they say they can't trace the driver, try Health and Safety at Work, employment law, anything you can think of. Got any chums who are practising lawyers? Odds are that one 'phone call would put the fear of God into the taxi firm.

Apart from that, commiserations and good luck.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
Ummm... Yes, it is (or might be) stolen. Something 'abandoned`is almost certainly likely still to have an owner. As far as I recall, the leading case in the UK was a dead pig, buried by its owner because it had died of disease, but dug up and sold. Once the taxi company has hoist this in board, they might be a bit more eager too help. If they say they can't trace the driver, try Health and Safety at Work, employment law, anything you can think of. Got any chums who are practising lawyers? Odds are that one 'phone call would put the fear of God into the taxi firm.

Apart from that, commiserations and good luck.

Cheers,

R.

Thanks Roger, Good fighting talk indeed, maybe a plan to swing into action later in the week

M

That has got to be a sucky feeling...I was in a small panic mode the other day when I couldn't find my Gossen Pilot...it was in my bag but in a pocket with another lens...
I do hope you get this back...or at least wake up from this really bad dream...

Hi Mike

I hope you get your M8 soon. Sorry to hear such a bad thing.

The cab company should be able to tell you more by looking into their logs, where there should be a log of people who called in their office (for a Cab). If the driver picked someone else while he was free on the road then, he would/should be able to tell you what other places these passengers were picked from. The electronic log machine in the cab should be able to tell you those information as well. Obviously, the cab company doesn't have to check the whole day - just certain time period.

If the cab is one of those large ones then they may also have a camera in the cab.And Roger said, ask your lawyer friend to call if the cab firm is not that helpful.

I went to dinner in NYC and left my GF1 and CV 25mm 0.95 on a chair. Hours later I remembered and in a panic called the restaurant. They had found it and put it aside. I got it back and tipped the guy who found it well. Hopefully the camera karma gods are smiling down and you will get your camera back like I did. Good luck in your searches.

If the finder of the camera does not try to find the owner of the camera (like handing it into the Police etc), and intends to keep it, that is theft.

I imagine that is why the Police are allowing time for it to be handed in. You could perhaps relate this to the Taxi firm, and ask them to ask the driver if he wants the Police involved, or is he going to take it to the Police Station. The other thing to do is get the local newspaper to do a little piece on it, they could be very interested if you mention the value of the camera (fully inflated replacement cost of course). Just ring the Taxi company and ask if you have their details right, like contact phone number (not booking number) etc just so you can quote it to the reporter. They may decide to pull their finger out to avoid bad publicity.

Steve

Good luck-it could go to a dealer or say, ebay. I am in Oz but I can keep an eye out online.

Best wishes to you.

The other thing to do is get the local newspaper to do a little piece on it, they could be very interested if you mention the value of the camera (fully inflated replacement cost of course).

This is an avenue well worth exploring if you don't have any joy from the previously suggested routes. I believe the local paper (Evening Argus?) has run articles before about lost / stolen cameras with some success. Not only would this put a bit more pressure on the taxi company, but would also crank up the heat if an individual had found it and decided to keep it or sell it on.

Hope it all works out for you.

John

That's really bad luck, I understand how upsetting it must be.

I hope they don't give you the details of whoever paid the next fare - it could have been someone as befuddled as you who didn't see the camera either (like me at that time of a night).

We need to be careful what we write here, you have identified the taxi company and there have been a few posts in the thread which may be construed as indicating the taxi driver took the camera without any proof. That's not a good thing to be doing in public. This is a high traffic site, someone Googling that company might come across this.

Apologies if this is coming across as impolite, I don't mean it to. Leave it to the Police, the taxi company will take more notice of them than you and won't be putting anyone at risk by giving away addresses to random members of the public. And that newspaper story sounds good too.

Very importantly - contact your home insurance company. If you have a 'vauables away from home' option active on your policy (it may even be pre-included in your policy) exercise it, the rise in premiums for a few years will be nothing compared to the value of your M8 and Summicron.

Good luck and hopefully you'll be reunited soon.

Thanks for all the advice

The local paper idea is definitely a good one.

Unfortunately i did not realise that all the cab companies in Brighton are the same colour!!

So where as i first thought it was city cabs, it could now be any one of them, how stupid of me ..

I have phoned all the companies, they all seem to have the same policy of 48 hours to take any lost items to the local police station.

Some were helpful, others not so ..i will not name names

This is going to make things even more difficult.

Have contacted Leica, they have entered the serial numbers on there database.

Still watching all the selling/auction sites

Mike

Back