Lost the half case for my M8

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
1:07 AM
Is it worth it to get a new half case for the M8?
Do you use a leather case for your M ?

I've never used one. I carried my M8 into all kinds of experiences without it seeing any real harm. It got one brightened beauty mark on its top plate in the ten years I owned it.

I am considering using it without its half case. It looks so beautiful without it.

How do you lose a half case? Just curious. There might be an interesting story here....

Not really. I sent my M8 to Leica for repair, and I may have kept the half case at home. I got back the M8, and now I have to search for the half case at home.

At times I want some protection, esp. cold I use bottom half of Pentax Spotmatic case.
All reqd. was to move screw to hold case to bottom.
Can use the whole case as well..
Oops! I forgot digital "M's" are thicker..

Last edited:
I have both a half case (bought on eBay from a Chinese maker - Mr Zhou, a very nice and obliging chap too who sold at a very competitive price) and an original Leica grip for the M8/M9.

Obviously the two items cannot be used together but I do swap them out from time to time. I love the look of the M8 with the Leica grip and it is nice to hold in its own way too. But I particularly love the soft but secure feel of the half case in my hand - and the knowledge that it provides an extra layer of protection from bumps and bruises.

I could imagine putting one of them away in a drawer and being unable to find it when I want it. I do this kind of thing all the time with camera gear and I have now learned the need to stay calm as experience suggests they always show up - after all, such things are unlikely to be lost in the field, hence they must be somewhere at home. (I hope).

My list half case was also made by Mr. Zhou. RFF sells his cases for $55 shipped. I may still find mine at home. I have a feeling of where it is hiding!
I have always used half cases for my M8 and M9, and both look very clean and beautiful after a lot of use. I don't know whether they would be so clean if I had not used such cases for them.

I found the case! The M8 has a freshly charged battery, an 8GB card, and a half case :)

Back