LTM to NEX adapter issue

Goody

Established
Local time
11:22 AM
I have a dot line Leica M39 (Leica threadmount) to NEX adapter which fits smoothly and seems to be well made but the adapter holds the lens a little too close to focal plane so that the focus goes past infinity. To put it another way at 15 feet the focus scale reads about 11 feet. Obviously this is better than the opposite issue where the lens cannot focus at infinity! Is this a common issue? I have a Novoflex adapter for OM lenses that seems to be machined more accurately. Has anyone else had this issue? What about a shim between the screwmount lens and the adapter?

Since you are most likely focusing with an EVF or LCD, putting a shim between the lens and the adapter is worth a try. I've used thin strips of mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape, works for me.

I have a dot line Leica M39 (Leica threadmount) to NEX adapter which fits smoothly and seems to be well made but the adapter holds the lens a little too close to focal plane so that the focus goes past infinity. To put it another way at 15 feet the focus scale reads about 11 feet. Obviously this is better than the opposite issue where the lens cannot focus at infinity! Is this a common issue? I have a Novoflex adapter for OM lenses that seems to be machined more accurately. Has anyone else had this issue? What about a shim between the screwmount lens and the adapter?

Yes, you can use tape to add distance - but it takes a few tries to get a even plane of focus. My novoflex M mount adapters are spot on, but I do have a Kipon macro adapter that I use tape to let the lens hit infinity at the infinity mark.

So far 3 novoflex adapter later, all are spot on at infinity mark. I've tried a lot of others from metabones to fotodiox to fotodiox pro version to a bunch of no names. In general, the others are hit and miss.. Most can be shimmed to correct infinity focus.

Gary

I have several Fotodiox E-mount adapters.... All of them focus past infinity, to a varying extent. Nikon F, M42 thread mount, M39 thread mount, Leica M. My only adapter that is correct (as best as I can tell) is my Amadeo adapter for Nikon RF to E mount.

Thanks for the quick responses. Glad it not just me. I figured it was because it was a cheaper adapter -- I couldn't find anyone who had the Novoflex LTM to NEX adapter in stock. Seems like a few layers of tape or maybe some shim stock might do it. Or a plastic or brass giant washer.. or cut up the plastic top of a can of coffee...Strange that they could make the bayonet fit perfectly and yet the thickness of the adapter is off by a lot. BTW Larry - What is mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape? And Newst --Which adapter had the adjustment -- was it the Kipon or the other one?

It was a low-stick thin tape used to mask off / crop 35mm slides for projection. Fairly heat resistant, easily removeable from slide film.

Thanks for the quick responses. Glad it not just me. I figured it was because it was a cheaper adapter -- I couldn't find anyone who had the Novoflex LTM to NEX adapter in stock. Seems like a few layers of tape or maybe some shim stock might do it. Or a plastic or brass giant washer.. or cut up the plastic top of a can of coffee...Strange that they could make the bayonet fit perfectly and yet the thickness of the adapter is off by a lot. BTW Larry - What is mylar low-tack "slide binding" tape? And Newst --Which adapter had the adjustment -- was it the Kipon or the other one?

It is the 'other one'. The aluminum ring in the center is held in place with screws. You loosen them, adjust to infinity and tighten them back down.

Of course it's a problem if you are zone focusing. I wonder if you could simply add another focusing mark on the lens? Easier than manipulating shims.

With MF lenses on my Sonys, I think the focus peaking is about the best focusing aid I've ever encountered, better for me than RF or SLR focusing.

Back