Lucky it's still under warranty! M8 sensor glitch!

noimmunity

scratch my niche
Local time
1:55 PM
I first noticed it on high ISO shots, a hideous vertical line (not the red line of some earlier ill repute):
At ISO 2500
4581447898_d116ecb409_b.jpg

Here is a 100% crop at ISO 640
4581447242_61fa79debf_o.jpg

Once I started looking I found the line in most every shot, at any ISO.

I was sure that I did not see this problem when I first purchased the camera about a year ago from Robert White in the UK.

Examination of photos in my archive shows that it developed sometime after I moved to Shanghai last fall. I didn't notice the problem because I didn't have a proper computer for most of the time I was there, and only returned to postprocessing very recently.

My M8 was purchased in the UK under the terms of the 2 year passport warranty, which Leica UK says they will stand by. Looks to me like this camera has to make the pilgramage back to Solms for a sensor replacement.

Hey mods, is it true that threads in this "reported problems" section don't show up in the New Posts list? (edit: the thread apparently only appears in the New Posts list after a response to the OP has been posted).

It showed up in my "New Posts", noimmunity, even before you posted a response.

good to know, thanks!

Looks like you've got two of them... I see one from the guitar's head to the guy's neck as well!

I neglected to specify that those are two different photos (thought the ISO difference would make that clear, but then again, saying one was a crop was misleading for sure), and the lines in each photo (as in all the others) occurs in exactly the same spot. Seems to be related to a dead pixel.

Has anyone had this problem of a line developing with use?

...and I thought the only problem was banding at high ISOs, sheesh!

What are the first 3 digits of the SN? Should give an indication of the batch number.

My oldest Digital camera just turned 18. Also has a Kodak Sensor, a KAF-1600. It has picked up 3 Hot Pixels, and is a 1.6MPixel CCD.

Mine is the same batch, I picked it up second-hand still under warranty. It was new as of 10/2009. I do keep an eye on it, so far ISO 2500 shots are very clean.

Back