M lenses and manual focusing on the X-Pro1

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
5:52 PM
How is manual focusing with an M mount lens on the X-Pro1 using the optical VF? How does it work?Magnification? Is it quick? Does it have the "feel"?

I am just beginning to check this out. I can't even find out where you would even get an M adapter?

search ebay for "Kipon adapter"
there is no focus assist or confirmation in the OVF, you would need to use the EVF. Unless you're happy with hyperfocal, zone focusing or simply eyeballing the distance.

search ebay for "Kipon adapter"
there is no focus assist or confirmation in the OVF, you would need to use the EVF. Unless you're happy with hyperfocal, zone focusing or simply eyeballing the distance.
thx, scratch off the X-pro1 for me.

Many M lenses are proving not to work well on the X-Pro 1 anyway. Definitely a case where you want to know what you are getting in to...

You know backwards compatibility was also something I wanted in Nikon's digital. I found the APS-C bodies really annoyed me with manual glass. Especially with the dinky little indicator they give you as a "rangefinder." I've come to the conclusion that autofocus cameras are intended to be used as autofocus cameras just as cameras with one million factory settings are intended to be used in Night mode, sport mode, etc. If a automated camera were intended to be used manualy it would have a shutter speed dial, aperature rings, and a usuable depth of scale indicator. Modern Nikon's don't, and neither to do Cannons....

The x-1 pro ticks some of those manual boxes, but not all. Seems like a pretty much dedicated autofocus camera, not that one can't master it.

With the X-1 Pro I could see why one wants to use M lenes, but the Fuji lenses seem quite nice with more on the way. Why not just use the camera as intended and wait to see if Fuji address the issues with their own adapter and firmware?

With the X-1 Pro I could see why one wants to use M lenes, but the Fuji lenses seem quite nice with more on the way. Why not just use the camera as intended and wait to see if Fuji address the issues with their own adapter and firmware?

Oh, POOH!!!

Nobody wants to hear a voice of reason when this whole X-Pro-1 thing is all about....DESIRE!!!

:rolleyes:

Many M lenses are proving not to work well on the X-Pro 1 anyway. Definitely a case where you want to know what you are getting in to...

Based on what I've seen I would say "that depends".

If you're interested in corner to corner sharpness then yep.. you probably don't want to use the m lenses (I should be able to find out for sure when the Kipon adapter gets here in a day or two).

However, if your subjects are something other than corners you may be "ok".

WRT using the EVF - unless you have actually seen the EVF don't disregard it right away. I was extremely concerned having known about EVFs since the old Konica/Minolta digicam days and I was worried that the Fuji EVF would be equally as horrid. For me, I was wrong.... :)

Cheers,
Dave

Focusing isn't that bad with the EVF alone. You also can magnify the EVF image, so you can get an accurate focus point.

So everyone's tripping over themselves to get an AF camera ... so they can then drive themselves completely insane attempting to manually focus dusty old fungus infected relics from the past ... when Fuji have offered a set of stellar lenses actually made for the camera at a pretty decent price! :eek:

:D

It's Too Earlt to Make A Call

It's Too Earlt to Make A Call

Early rather...

The X APS-C bodies can be focused using auto focus manually. It is effective to focus and recompose much like you would with an analog rangefinder. There are at least four ways to do this... two for each finder.

The use of M lenses may or may not be productive. First of all there is only one adapter available right now. The manufacturer may or may not produce a high quality product and we have no idea what sort of quality control is in place. Second, different M lens optical designs may perform differently.

Fuji is not discussing how they expect customers to use their M adapter. It is possible the OVF will work with some focal lengths and there will be some reliable means to confirm analog focus using the AF system. Or Fuji may just expect people to use the EVF and visuakky confirm focs with M lenses. Who knows?

If I wanted to use M lenses with a digital body I would just buy one of four bodies with a native M mount.

C'mon y'all

C'mon y'all

So everyone's tripping over themselves to get an AF camera ... so they can then drive themselves completely insane attempting to manually focus dusty old fungus infected relics from the past ... when Fuji have offered a set of stellar lenses actually made for the camera at a pretty decent price! :eek:

I completely agree, Keith. I just don't get it either.

I tried an M-mount lens on a NEX-7 and it was just lame. Very awkward and negated so much of what that camera was designed to do.

I'm looking forward to getting an X-Pro 1 (c'mon Fuji... talk about lame! what a simply AWFUL model name) and will only be using the AF Fuji lenses).

I think that many (including myself) have been fouled by the Fuji announcement of the future release of dedicated M adaptor.
At present the X-Pro 1 is a joy when used with its native lenses, with legacy lenses is disappointing for the poor manual focus implementation (remediable) and for the corner performances with most WA's.
Ario

Yes, pretty much. I don't get it.

Yes, pretty much. I don't get it.

i personally dont see it as a matter of people wanting an AF camera at all. imo, i want a camera on which i can mount my favorite lenses and enoy them digitally. the most effective cameras that allow this are mirrorless. thus, folks like us who enjoy shooting manually and who have collected a particular set of lenses to reproduce how we want scenes reproduced. look to 'super' new technology to provide that avenue.

for whatever reason i chose the m4/3 system for this purpose. i have one AF lens and all my MF film lenses. i found while the system worked great with RF lenses, it didnt do well with high quality zeiss contax lenses. so i moved away from slr lenses and more into RF.

so, especially for folks who belong to 'legacy' forum like this, its less a matter of forcing square pegs into round holes and more a matter of trying to find the best digital hole into which to fit our square lenses.:)
tony

The 35/1.4 is a fantastic lens and I imagine it will be on my camera some of the time.

There are some great uses for the M adapter, such as using lenses that are not yet available for the X mount (such as a 135/4)

Focusing M lenses will be EASIER with the EVF in at least some circumstances than a rangefinder:
  1. Low light. The EVF is more sensitive to light than you eye, so you get a brighter image to focus on.
  2. Longer focal length. The inherent magnification of the EVF will make focusing easier than if you had a small frame and patch.

Back