M10 & 35 1.4 pre asph

muser53

MUSER53
Local time
1:06 AM
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an M10(or M10P) and until I can find the funds for a 35 asph Summilux would be using my pre asph summilux as the primary lens. Has anyone used this combo? FWIW the lens is Canadian and works perfectly on my M6 and M7 bodies.
I am traveling right now and don't have the serial number handy.
If so what in your opinion are the pros and cons of this set up. FWIW I'll probably be shooting 75% B&W 25% color.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Paul

Here I am, I use it on both my analog leicas and M10-r.

pros:
-small
-fast
-strong "character"

cons
-minimum focus distance
-very unpredictable behavior @f1,4 (or strong character if you prefer ) -only sharp in the center @f1,4 and @f2

as you can see, the cons are not about digital, they are about the optic itself and I'm sure you're well aware of them

I can't see any problems on using it on my 40mpx camera, you will get the same results that you get with film.

two daily shots, with ND0.8 filter @f1,4 and f2

3LPPwqcJ_o.jpg

imNjp3Ks_o.jpg

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an M10(or M10P) and ... would be using my pre asph summilux as the primary lens. ... If so what in your opinion are the pros and cons of this set up. ...
IMO, there is only one pro or con in this case. The "character" of the lens will be noticeably magnified on digital (that might be good or bad depending on how much you like the lens). I wouldn't foresee an "issue" otherwise. You'll find a I.D. setting for this lens in the M10's menu system.

I recently mentioned in another thread, with a similar question, that I have just read an article in the American Cinematographer that cinematographers have been looking to balance out the look of the current extreme-high resolution of the digital motion picture process by eschewing the use of their modern highly corrected lenses. Instead, they are looking for lenses with greater aberration. Panavision has been redesigning some lenses to increase the image-forming errors! So if you you use the Pre-ASPH on your M9, you will be in good, famous company! By the way, although I use an ASPH Summilux for some M9 shots, I use the pre-ASPH 35mm Lux as much or more! I don't think hi-res sensors necessarily demand hi-res lenses.

While I don’t have the 35mm non-Asph Lux, I can tell you that my 35 Asph Lux (non FLE) really brings great colors on my M10-P, and there are no focussing issues. I don’t believe it is over-corrected for a 24MP camera.

Back