M10 battery life?

pmu

Well-known
Local time
1:06 PM
It seems that there are no third party batteries available in Europe (ebay, amazon) for M10. Those tiny Leica batteries are crazy expensive. I am currently using Fuji GFX50R and I shoot in cold weather a lot. I mean -15C to -25C is normal. With Fuji, I have to use approx 1,5 batteries for 3 hour session outside. I guess its the EVF that uses most of the battery, I shoot generally max 100 photos per session.

I am thinking to trade the Fuji for a M10, but I think I would need to have at least 3 fresh batteries to manage the same situation... Yes, no?

Leica M10 battery life is pretty good if just using the rangefinder and not EVF or live view. I think one spare would be fine for a whole day shooting. I have a few spares so I can go on trips without a charger and have never paid more than £70 for one. Keep an eye on MPB or Ebay and they regularly come up for sale (used).

Reactions: pmu
It seems, only M8,9,MM1 are able to run on genuine, not LCAG relabeled, batteries.
Best price I'm aware of, is at HK Rangefinder. But I don't know if they will ship and you could receive.

Think twice about switching to M10 for this kind of environment. LCAG lenses are not weather rated, freezeproofed.

I can use my M10-P for three or four days without changing batteries, but I rarely, if ever, use live view. However, the batteries do drain when not in use; my spare battery drains to ~80% over a about a 6-month period.

It seems, only M8,9,MM1 are able to run on genuine, not LCAG relabeled, batteries.
Best price I'm aware of, is at HK Rangefinder. But I don't know if they will ship and you could receive.

Think twice about switching to M10 for this kind of environment. LCAG lenses are not weather rated, freezeproofed.

I run my M8.2 and M9 on eBay non-Leica batteries just fine.

I can use my M10-P for three or four days without changing batteries, but I rarely, if ever, use live view. However, the batteries do drain when not in use; my spare battery drains to ~80% over a about a 6-month period.

My experience is similar, but I can only go a maximum of 2 days of regular shooting on my M10 without changing/charging the battery (& even less time if shooting heavily). I'm an occasional, but not regular user of live view (e.g., overhead shots & the like). Battery life on the M10 is definitely a step down from the M240 & the price of the smaller, lighter body. I have 3 batteries (including 1 in the camera) I rotate between & if I know I'm shooting a full day, I'll keep at least 1 in the pocket or bag.

I agree with above comments for genberal use. When I used to spend a few days in the Alps in winter (before covid :( ) in winter temperaturre between 0 and minus 10 Celsius I never had problems. Never gone to much colder places.
But I used to keep the camera under my anorak and take out only the time to shoot a few frames, than back into the jacket. Almost never use live view and very rarely chimp. And no EVF. Yes, in tha temperature range the battery last less time, this is normal and you already know.

An extra battery (full charged of course) in the pocket of my shirt near my body was the additional safety net, but not always use it. But I shoot digital as I used to do with film, no overshooting.

Be aware of the risk of condensation when from the cold you enter in a hot place, restaurant or similar. I used the old trick to wrap the camera in a plastic ziplock bag and place it in my backpack a short time before to enter a warm place. Not sure it is the best way to do but I think so.

And yes, it is a pleasure to use the M10 !

med_U3692I1576332158.SEQ.0.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	med_U3692I1576332158.SEQ.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	4770206

Edit: of course -15 / -25 C is much colder !

Ko.Fe
I've taken my Epson rangefinder to the windswept shore of Lake Ontario in dead winter and it malfunctioned after some 30 minutes. Also, the focus ring of the metal barreled Zeiss Biogon froze up and became unusable. By the time this happened, I myself had succumbed to the extreme cold. Regarding the M10, have a look at the user manual for minimum operating temperatures. Cheers, OtL

I was shooting for 2h 15 mins in -7C. Had to use only one battery and it still has 79% of power left. I'm sure the battery life is not an issue.

Just an update: I was shooting two days in a row, -10C to -15C, total time outside maybe 4h 30 mins, approx 100-110 frames taken. Battery level is still at 65%. I am very pleased with this. Battery life feels better than with Fuji.

Just an update: I was shooting two days in a row, -10C to -15C, total time outside maybe 4h 30 mins, approx 100-110 frames taken. Battery level is still at 65%. I am very pleased with this. Battery life feels better than with Fuji.

The battery efficiency and firmware efficiency have gotten better everywhere. What always strikes me funny is that after moving from 24 exposures to 36 exposures and being quite content to open the camera after three dozen shots that now we grumble over less than 200 shots before a quick battery change. We are a funny lot. And easily spoiled. ;o)

Back