M10 Maestro / CMOS

bwcolor

Mentor
Local time
8:30 PM
After listening to:

http://www.vimeo.com/6344220

Did anyone else get the impression that the M9 was rushed to market with little resources and set contracts which defined the product, but that the future might just go a different direction with the pressure of time, contractual obligations and hopefully resources relaxed?

I got the impression that they are in the M10 conceptual stage with the Maestro and CMOS a real possibility. I say this because of the complaints with regards to screen rendering, comments regarding why they didn't use Maestro and their desire for better high ISO performance. That said, the M9 looks like a winner and the rapid replacement of their digital line will probably slow greatly with the success of the M9. So, I'll probably gray a good bit waiting for an M10.

As far as we know, it seems really likely that they work on a new system (full-frame EVIL) which allows the adaption of M- and R-lenses.

Right now, these are just speculations based on hints that were given on the Hassenpark-meeting and recent press events - we will know more on Photokina 2010!?

The M9 is neither very fast, the batter-life is limited, it doesn't offer live-view and the display is quite old. But other than that, it offers superb (even at high ISO!) IQ in a really tiny system with unsurpassed lenses! We should be happy right now.

Well it's a week after the M9 was presented for the first time, so it's about time to start speculating about the M10.

Did anyone else get the impression that the M9 was rushed to market with little resources and set contracts which defined the product, but that the future might just go a different direction with the pressure of time, contractual obligations and hopefully resources relaxed?

Rushed to market? No. Did Leica make design compromises because of (fill in the blank)? Sure they did. Every device ever invented and brought to market is a compromise in some regard.

Some of the images I've seen from the M9 are truly impressive. Though I'm still a film user and have no plans on dumping my MP, I've love to own an M9.

Jim B.

I'm surprised it took a week before the rumors started!

I'm happy with what I have at the moment, plus I'm broke so even if I was unhappy, I still have no choice but to stick with what I have.

I think that rushed is accurate. I don't mean to indicate that they did a poor job.

This post is in reference to the video link above. Please watch the video. This is where all of the information above was provided, including the time from conception to market and the tradeoffs in bringing the M9 to market with other projects taking valuable resources.

Stop this nonsense. Really. I understood all of the M9 speculation threads, but this is just foolish. If anyone has any ideas or wishlists about the next M camera, keep them to yourselves for at least a year, preferably two.

Hey - at M9 prices I will have just saved enough for a new camera by the time its successor is announced. (actually, I imagine that I will have a bank account that I am slowly filling with money in hopes of one day having enough for a future M. But in my fantasy, when I have accumulated $7,000 for an M9, the M10 is out and it retails for $8,600 and when I have closed that gap, prices for the M11 will be $12,500. In the end, I have a bank account with $20,000 and I just can't see spending it on a camera. I wind up walking away from photography, take up drawing and buy some really good pencils.)

Ben Marks

Non-Sense

Non-Sense

Just don't read the non-sense. Nobody asked you to click on the link.

I work hard for my money and I'm thinking of spending $7K, but I'm also asking myself if I want to wait for a Zeiss entry, or if I want to wait for the next generation. Why heaven sakes do that? When I purchase a film camera I lose money on resale, but I have many digital cameras starting with the Canon D-60 that has gone from $1400 to less than $200 on the resale market.. if it can be sold. I just might be looking for a technology where the natives are happy and the resale value holds up and I no longer feel the need to upgrade. I believe that the M9 is getting close to that point.

All is speculation and with that it may be non-sense, but it in my mind it help me to measure against the above yardstick.

Did you hear about the full-manual autofocus digital/film/M/R/S/X/Q hybrid M11 project? I hear it goes to eleven.

Back