M3 and 50mm for under £1000?

lrochfort

Well-known
Local time
1:25 AM
I'd like to purchase my first M, ideally an M3 and 50mm.

However, I'm on a budget and really don't have more than £1000 to spend. Does this sound feasible to people?

I don't care about looks, a tatty but mechanically sound body would be fine. Likewise for the lens, a Summicron would be nice, but I'd be interested in people's opinions on affordable alternatives.

Many thanks,
Laurence.

It's certainly possible. I haven't been on the 'bay for Leica gear in a while, but when I was first looking to get into rangefinders, I saw quite a few very ugly but functional M3s go for around 700 USD, and you could always get CV lens or adapt a J8.

Of course, Keh has a bargain M3 right now and a collapsible summicron 50.That should come to just within your budget (Including shipping, but I don't know what import fees the UK has). If you are willing to go a few quid over budget, there's a rigid version too

For sure. I've just checked RedDotCameras and you can get an M3 (£699) + Summicron Collapsible (£335) which comes in at £1034, just a pinch over your budget.

Hi Laurence
I also think this is possible. Personally I wouldn't buy from Ebay but would pick a dealer. Where are you located?
cheers
philip

Just locally someone sold a case with M3 and 35+50+90mm leitz lenses and accesories for about 800€, so sure its possible, usually just need to be a fast buyer =DD

It's certainly possible. I haven't been on the 'bay for Leica gear in a while, but when I was first looking to get into rangefinders, I saw quite a few very ugly but functional M3s go for around 700 USD, and you could always get CV lens or adapt a J8.

Of course, Keh has a bargain M3 right now and a collapsible summicron 50.That should come to just within your budget (Including shipping, but I don't know what import fees the UK has). If you are willing to go a few quid over budget, there's a rigid version too
That's very useful, thanks Dylan.

By CV do you mean Cosina Voigtlander? Any suggestions for those?

Are the Russian Jupiters well regarded?

Would I get more for my money if I buy an LTM lens?

Cheers,
Laurence.

I think a M3 for 500/600£ is realistic : you will have a worn but still looking good example, with a recent CLA. It leaves 400£ for a 50mm, which is more than enough. You can have some old ltm Leica, an old Summicron, some ltm nikkors or canons, a second hand modern Voigtlander.
You can still have some ££ left for film, beers, ...

Depends on what you like.

For example I myself bought last year a very clean M4 for 480£ (still had its orginal seal, shutter was spot on but lubricants were a bit dry), and had it overhauled for 150GBP. An M3 should cost less.

For sure. I've just checked RedDotCameras and you can get an M3 (£699) + Summicron Collapsible (£335) which comes in at £1034, just a pinch over your budget.
Very interesting!

Are there any disadvantages to the collapsible lenses? Bear in mind I'm not terribly fussy, I won't be making huge enlargements or poring over images with a loupe.

Also see that Aperture (in London) have an M3 in user condition for £450. That with the Summicron from Red Dot will come in under £800 in total. Enough left over to stockpile on film

Very interesting!

Are there any disadvantages to the collapsible lenses? Bear in mind I'm not terribly fussy, I won't be making huge enlargements or poring over images with a loupe.

I have the collapsible and it's a great lens and very small when collapsed to easily fit in the bag. The only thing to remember is to un-collapse it when you want to take a photo:bang:

Hi Laurence
I also think this is possible. Personally I wouldn't buy from Ebay but would pick a dealer. Where are you located?
cheers
philip
I too am very nervous about eBay. I don't mind remote buying so long as it's a reputable dealer.

I'm in Berkshire, UK.

I think if you wait for a good deal, you could easily find an M3 + collapsible Summicron for under 1000 GBP.

It's a great combo. I personally wouldn't put a Jupiter 8 on an M3. Although the Jupiter can be great optically, the build quality of the two differs so much that I would find it jarring to use. (It all depends how fussy you are, of course!)

That's very useful, thanks Dylan.

By CV do you mean Cosina Voigtlander? Any suggestions for those?

Are the Russian Jupiters well regarded?

Would I get more for my money if I buy an LTM lens?

Cheers,
Laurence.

Yup, Cosina Voigtlander. I can't personally recommend any CV lenses, Russian lenses or LTM lenses though, since I've never handled any (Hoping to get a hold of an I-22 and I-61 soonish though, but that's a topic for another day). However, Voigtlander lenses are usually pretty good value for money from what I've read, and the main risk you run with older LTM lenses is internal haze, as well as cleaning marks if the glass or coatings are soft. Of course, these often contribute to what some will call the 'leica glow'.

Keh is usually very conservative with its ratings though (I've heard people flabbergasted that gear in a condition normally called "EX+++++++++++^3" on ebay is marked as bargain grade) and if you don't find the gear to be to your taste, I think their policy is a no-questions 6 month return period.

I have the collapsible and it's a great lens and very small when collapsed to easily fit in the bag. The only thing to remember is to un-collapse it when you want to take a photo:bang:
The answers are coming in faster than I can respond, thank you everybody.

That £800 combination is extremely tempting....

Ebay is always a gamble, but the most trustworthy sellers i've dealt with has been from the German ebay. Sometimes the items has been shipped before the payment has even transfered.

I bought my M3 one year ago from MWClassic cameras (www.mwclassic.com) for £450, it was excellent condition, I have looked just now and they have a nice one for £695,

My Jupiter-8 50mm lens cost me £25 so in total I spent £475, but it seems that in just a year prices have jumped a bit

Cheers, Richard

Easy, I got my M3 and Summarit for perhaps under £900. Red Dot Cameras, Aperture Photographic, Ffordes, are good places to start.

If you're OK with a Voigtlander lens instead of Leica, it gets easier.

I can highly recommend the Canon 50mm f:1,8 which can be found for around £150 but be carefull about the condition. Some have haze and should be avoided. I personnally found a good one for £60, that being about 3years ago, I consider the build quality to be near Leitz standard and the performance to be very close.

Best,

normclarke.

Norm beat me to it. That makes two of us.

If you find a good body that stretches your budget, the all chrome Canon LTM (Leica Thread Mount) 50mm f/1.8 lens is a worthy addition to any camera. You will need an adapter to go from LTM to M mount. They work perfectly. The Nikkor 50/1.4 from the same era as the Canon 50mm lens is very nice. More expensive, but fast & sharp.

Wayne

Back