m3 or m2

The M2 is the sublime Leica

The M2 is the sublime Leica

Nothing more than what you need. The M3 is practically rococo compared to it. Clearly the peak of Leica-ness, never equaled. Later models just diluted its essence.

Lets face it, both great cameras, you will love either of them. Start shopping within your budget and im sure the right one will come along prompting 2 or 3

Although I say go 4

The perfect classic would be a hybrid for me:
M2 with loading and frame counter from the M4.
yeah, the top plate can look like the M3 just for fun, but I don't care, the M2 has a clean, functional look that I like.
If I have to choose: the M4

FYI: Production Numbers

M3: 226,178
M2:85,200
M4:59,441

and for a reference M6:132,454.

As far as rarity the M4 has the lowest production numbers. Again for me the modern loading and modern rewind I greatly appreciate as a shooter.

BTW did anyone happen to notice the amount of M3's being either offered or for sale recently?

Cal

Well if one wants rarity and no 135mm framelines or removable take-up spool, how about the M2 KS-15(4) US Army issue? M4-style loading. The M2-R also has M4-style loading.

8474394623_70affe71d1_c.jpg

FYI: Production Numbers

M3: 226,178
M2:85,200
M4:59,441

and for a reference M6:132,454.

As far as rarity the M4 has the lowest production numbers.

Even the M4 was a hit compared to others, Cal:

stats-M.jpg

(I once compiled this from Stephens list of serial numbers)

One day I will get an M2R ...

That being said, my Canadian M3 might be considered the most classic by our favorite moderator ... Mandler being a Canadian by choice.

Roland.

Well if one wants rarity and no 135mm framelines or removable take-up spool, how about the M2 KS-15(4) US Army issue? M4-style loading. The M2-R also has M4-style loading.

8474394623_70affe71d1_c.jpg

Nice rig. I think I see a TA Rapidwinder?

I solicited Sherry about getting the required added driveshaft mod on my M4, but she will not perform the mod.

Again nice camera.

Cal

stats-M.jpg

That being said, my Canadian M3 might be considered the most classic by our favorite moderator ... Mandler being a Canadian by choice.

Roland.

Roland,

Somehow I found at Adorama an early M3-DS that was sent to Leica Germany for an overhaul. Leica had resilvered the prism, it was recovered by Leica, and had a brand new "L"-seal.

Anyways lost this incredible camera in a trade with an art dealer who wanted this camera for his wife. This camera still haunts me. Also lost in the deal was a clean version one 50 Rigid that had the distance scale only in feet that I luckily found at B&H for $499.00.

Brutal...

Cal

stats-M.jpg

Roland.

... so you would consider the Toyota Corolla to be the most classic of classic cars? ... as it did sell the most units

Back