M3 or Zeiss Ikon Limited edition, for RX1 V1

AlejandroI

Established
Local time
10:27 AM
Hi guys I have the opportunity of changing my Sony RX1 v1 for a Leica m3 plus light meter in very good condition, recently cla, but not by Leica, by a local expert. All speeds work accordingly, visor is clean, only a few details cosmetic. Or I can also get a zeiss ikon zm silver limited edition in brand new condition, including box and all accessories, used just for a couple of rolls.

I know the m3 doesn't come with 35mm framelines, and that the zeiss is more like an m7, I have now an m240, so the zeiss will behave more like an m240 with film. Aperture priority, etc...

The RX1 is my day to day camera. Pocketable with awesome image quality. So I am not 100% sure if it's a good idea to change them, or really worth the value. RX1 with accessories will be around 1250 usd, so is like I was buying the m3 or zeiss for that amount.

Any suggestion on what to do? Should I proceed with the exchange? M3 or Zeiss? I already have an m240, and Q on the way, the aperture priority of the zeiss will really make things easy to use and not that different from the m240. Also will be nice to be able to use both lenses.

I could use the zeiss or m3, as a monochrome, loaded with bw film (already have a bunch of unused film laying around).

Are these cameras really worth that price? (M3 or zeiss ikon zm limited edition).

Sorry for the long post, but a bit lost on what to do...thanks!!!!

I say don't do it.
If you use an m240 and rx1 is a daily carry... it's probably not wise to over invest in a film body.
Pick up an inexpensive M2/3 to scratch the itch for film when it occurs.
Either way $1200 for an m3 or Zeiss Ikon is too much.
Maybe a collectable m3 could be worth this.
One cla'd by as you describe is not in that category.
Personally i use a bessa r2 olive for occasional film trips.
It's a $300 camera and works as well as any leica for my purpose.

I say don't do it.
If you use an m240 and rx1 is a daily carry... it's probably not wise to over invest in a film body.
Pick up an inexpensive M2/3 to scratch the itch for film when it occurs.
Either way $1200 for an m3 or Zeiss Ikon is too much.
Maybe a collectable m3 could be worth this.
One cla'd by as you describe is not in that category.
Personally i use a bessa r2 olive for occasional film trips.
It's a $300 camera and works as well as any leica for my purpose.

Thanks what you say makes complete sense, and its actually thinking with the head :) But that m3 and Zeiss both are in very good condition, and i already have the film waiting, hehehe.

Actually the RX1 should be my daily camera, but on the years i been with it, i only use my phone as a daily camera, the rx1 didnt came that much out, I only took the Rx1 when it was a family trip, and didnt want to be messing with cameras.

Having had the Zeiss Ikon Limited Edition, and the RX1, I would also say don't do it, don't even think about it. I understand everyone is different, but the RX1 is just so much more camera than the ZI, if we are talking about results. If you don't care about the actual pictures themselves then, yes, the "user experience" of the ZI ot M3 will be nicer than the RX1, but you will have a hard time equaling the photographic results from the Sony. If you want monochrome, just set the RX1 to rich tone monochrome. If you want to use film, I'd echo others and say just get something cheaper, like a nice working Spotmatic with a SMC 50/1.4 for $150. Day to day the output from that will likely meet or exceed what you'd get from the ZI, if I were honest, and I've had both.
The RX1 might be the one camera out of the 25 or so I currently own (sad) which has earned "never sell" status.

The RX1 is my day to day camera. Pocketable with awesome image quality. So I am not 100% sure if it's a good idea to change them, or really worth the value. RX1 with accessories will be around 1250 usd, so is like I was buying the m3 or zeiss for that amount.

Any suggestion on what to do? Should I proceed with the exchange?

Are these cameras really worth that price? (M3 or zeiss ikon zm limited edition).

Don't do it. You have answered your own question. I think you know that is the right advice, even though you are hoping one of us can convince you to make the trade. But the RX1 is your day to day camera. And it's worth almost double the cost of an M3. If you sell it you will need another RX1.

I would wait a while to see if this urgency goes into remission. In the meantime you can save up for an M3 or the Zeiss.

My day to day, film camera is a NIkon F with a 50/1.4. Got it at a yard sale 10 years ago for $25.

Hi guys thanks to all for the advice. Yep i think i was not using the head. Will definitely pass the deal, and keep my rx1.

I have a nikon fm3, that i can use if i need to shoot the bw film :)

I really like the outcome of the RX1 :)

Back