M3 + Summarit 50mm 1.5

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
1:16 PM
My first impression of what a Summarit 50mm 1.5 lens can do with Christmas lights is completely different than I expected! My anticipation was of donuts, orbs, or something different....but 3D hearts???? After taking a few snaps with no idea about the lens, Wow!

I can hardly wait to explore the possibilities...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=98520&nocache=1

A few more are posted in my gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10945

Last edited:
Coool ...
I was expecting more softness /its still soft & Lovely :)

Best to You & enjoy your Lens- H

I'm so happy for you that you're finally getting to shoot and enjoy the M at last Dave. Wishing you a great Christmas and New Year from a friend downunder! :)

I'm so happy for you that you're finally getting to shoot and enjoy the M at last Dave. Wishing you a great Christmas and New Year from a friend downunder! :)

Thanks, Keith....

Thought I would post my first photos ever with an M3 to celebrate the holidays! I am very anxious to get back to black and white portraits...but these turned out much better than I would have expected!

Keith, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all the wonderful people down under!:D

Thanks, Keith....

Thought I would post my first photos ever with an M3 to celebrate the holidays! I am very anxious to get back to black and white portraits...but these turned out much better than I would have expected!

Keith, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all the wonderful people down under!:D

Dave,

Looks like you found a really good one! :D

I love my Summarit!

Happy Holidays and Good Shooting

Tom

Those half-butterfly shaped highlights are caused by an optical flaw called "coma." As you get further from the center of the image, the butterfly wings get bigger. Many fast lenses from bygone days do this. I got a Summitar recently, and went out to photograph Christmas lights with it. Same story, just not as much.

Modern lens design tries to supress coma as much as possible. In Gunther Osterloh's Leica M: Advanced Photo School, he shows the same night scene with a string of lights across the image, taken with both a non-Leica lens and an aspheric Leica lens. The "Brand X" lens shows the "butterflies." He uses this as an example of how the modern Leica lenses are superior.

But "superior" for you depends on what you want. The effect can be very cool if used well.

--Peter

Well your pictures have just kicked into touch my preconceptions about the Summarit - based on what I'd read in books, magazines etc.!

Back