M6 : Differences in the top plate

ravenxarmy

Established
Local time
5:19 AM
This is more out of curiosity rather than any practical application. I was wondering why there were differences in the top plate design in the M6. And I'm excluding any special editions. There were quite a few editions with maps or some other logos on the top plate. Not them, I'm talking just the regular run.

I noticed that the original M6 had either a plain top like this one:

Or one with the small writing:

Then again M6 TTL were either blank:

Or had a sort of M3-ish LEICA logo (these seem to be rarer)

Just run a quick google search but I haven't found any TTLs with the small text or any early ones with the classic logo.
Did it depend on the year of production? Or were they slapping the logos on top randomly? I'm dying to know.
The 2022 version seems to have the small writing again:

i41505_08_900x.jpg

Attachments

• leica-m6-03-1666277158.jpg
    leica-m6-03-1666277158.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • leica-m6-03-1666277158.jpg
    leica-m6-03-1666277158.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
The engraving throughout the M6 run changed over the years. The original had the engraving on the top "ERNST LEITZ WETZLAR GMBH" - then Leica started engraving on the back of the topcover, leaving the top blank. There were a number of variations, but the primary change in engraving came due to the change in the company's ownership away from the Leitz family. It was many years before Leica could once again use the Leitz name on their cameras.

I didn't know that Leica and Leitz drifted apart.
I'm gonna google this for details, seems like my Leica is a non-Leitz one then...

I didn't know that Leica and Leitz drifted apart.
I'm gonna google this for details, seems like my Leica is a non-Leitz one then...

The Leitz family went public (converted a private company to a public traded company) and withdrew the from the company (including their family name).

Leica M6 tops are made from a zinc alloy and sometimes you see small bumps through the chrome due to oxidating of the zinc below, but the new M6 is made of brass.

The Leitz family went public (converted a private company to a public traded company) and withdrew the from the company (including their family name).

Leica M6 tops are made from a zinc alloy and sometimes you see small bumps through the chrome due to oxidating of the zinc below, but the new M6 is made of brass.

I've seen the M6s with the messed up top plates. The bubbles like in the photo attached?

By "new" M6 do you mean the TTL or the 2022 one?

Attachments

• photo119797.jpg
    photo119797.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 3
I guess this will give Leica collectors something else to collect, and take some M6s out of the pool of Leicas available to be used.

Back