M8 and 28/2.8 ASPH or pre-asph 35/1.4: Which to hold on to?

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. After some deliberation--and getting a MM-- I've decided to keep the 28 elmarit asph and sell the pre-asph 35 along with the m8. One clinically sharp wide to go with my classic $10 J8 that is a great performer in its own right.

Best

I would keep the 28 ASPH. The 35 pre-asph is not a very good lens in my experience. The 28 however is stellar!

Depends what you want to do with it though.

You can always get back into 35 mm with the Zeiss Biogon-C 35-2.8 A steal at the price.

If it was me I would keep the 35 pre asph, I've got one and even though I've got a 35mm Summicron I still like the pre-asph its unique and the prices will only go up at f2 its not far behind a summicron. I've also had mine in pieces so many times (after two repairers couldn't fix it) so can adjust the focus easily on it to match my camera especially at 1.4!

If you have a pre-asph 35 lux that's working for you, keep it. I've had two late 2nd series versions and sold them both. The earlier of the two was unusable wide open, but incredible from 2.0 up (sold it before I new better) and the later made in Germany version was better wide open but not as good stopped down.

I love my 35/1.4 pre-asph even though I have been for many years favoring the 50mm lenses over 35mm lenses. I do not have the Summicron 28mm, but I noticed that I rarely use any of my two 28mm RF lenses (Rokkor/Kobalux), and I sold off my Canon 28mm lens too. It is the focal length that seems to be the problem for me.

I do not know what works best for you.

-I can always sell this and get similar/better quality (in some ways) with a CV35/1.4

I owned the Summilux, now I own the CV. They are pretty close.
In fact, the current Nokton resembles the look of the original Lux, that is selling for 10k and up today.
Chrome nose, "wings", red lettering, form factor.

summilux_chrome_nokton.JPG

I love my 35/1.4 pre-asph even though I have been for many years favoring the 50mm lenses over 35mm lenses. I do not have the Summicron 28mm, but I noticed that I rarely use any of my two 28mm RF lenses (Rokkor/Kobalux), and I sold off my Canon 28mm lens too. It is the focal length that seems to be the problem for me.

I do not know what works best for you.

That's quite true for me too. I typically shy away from 28mm on FF-- it actually took me a long time to migrate from 50 to 35 as my most used-- and I don't know how often I will really reach for that 28. Then again, a good thing about it is that I can get closer than with the 1m pre-asph 35...

And that 35 pre-asph, when it works at 1.4, makes images I can't get with any modern optic...

This is a harder choice than I thought...! Thanks for the input

I would sell the sumillux and buy a 35mm 1.4 Nokton.

I don't know the technical bits but I presume the modern optic will outperform while retaining a 'classic' look. Newer coatings etc etc.

On the M8, with an IR filter, it's an excellent performer, and you get an extra 30cm shooting distance. .7m min focus distance

Elmarit-M is up for sale!

I looked closely at photos at 2.8 and was reminded how the 35/1.4 is no slouch. And going from the M8 to an M-M now, I'm reminded how much I have trouble wrapping around 28mm; sticking with the 35/1.4.

The old 35/1.4 is one of the two most famous Leica lenses. (The other is the 75mm/1.4). Keep it. The small size and light weight imho more that compensates for the softness wide open.

btw, did you know that the lens hood comes apart (unscrews) so that you can drop a series VII filter in the gap? No need to buy extra kit.

Back