M8 and moiré

andyturk

Established
Local time
12:17 PM
I've read in several places that the M8 will not have an anti-aliasing filter like most (all?) dSLRs do currently. Instead, Leica will reduce moiré in software.

I'm wondering whether this software will be in the camera or in their raw converter. If the moiré reduction is performed in-camera, then the raw files will be slightly cooked. If the correction is done in the raw converter, what happens to people who want to use other software like Photoshop or Lightroom to process digital negatives?

Just wondering.

I guess you would turn it off ust like in the DMR and apply your choice of software.

You know when people complain that Canon photos have a plastic look? Or that Nikon high-ISO shots look like they have too much noise suppression? That's because their RAW files, like everybody's RAW files, are slightly cooked. They wouldn't call it that -- nobody would call it that -- but the varieties of cooking [handling] account for the different "looks" of digital RAW files.

JC

I find the moiré effect pretty minimal from the Fuji Provia files I generate from my M4!
Sorry - some wag was going to say it sooner or later!:rolleyes:

As far as I know, the RAW format simply indicates that the data is uncompressed. It doesn't imply that it is uncooked by any number of algorithms (although it nominally pretends to be).

Clarence

andyturk said:
I've read in several places that the M8 will not have an anti-aliasing filter like most (all?) dSLRs do currently. Instead, Leica will reduce moiré in software.

I'm wondering whether this software will be in the camera or in their raw converter. If the moiré reduction is performed in-camera, then the raw files will be slightly cooked. If the correction is done in the raw converter, what happens to people who want to use other software like Photoshop or Lightroom to process digital negatives?

Just wondering.
Most photo editor software programs have moire correction tools, so using PS or LR shouldn't be a problem. Moire occures in isolated areas and correction involves isolating those areas and fixing it. It is unlikely done in-camera, but the Leica raw converter might have the tools, which you can choose to use or not. Some folks that might have some experience in this are the owners of the Nikon D70 (mild AA filter), Kodak 14n, Sigma SD9 & some medium format backs.

If Leica follows form with what they have already done with the DMR, then the M8 RAW file will, in fact, be an Adobe DNG (Digital Negative) file. This can be easily opened in Photoshop and is the native format for Lightroom.

Back