M8 - black horizontal lines

isorgb

Well-known
Local time
10:30 AM
Hi

some time ago I noticed that my Leica M8 sometimes give black horizontal lines in picture.
When I was quick two shot (or more?), but not continues mode, on second picture I see lines.
Look this:
First:
Second:

I read about problem with vertical line and banding in older cameras etc.... but my M8 is 333xxxx serial number, which should be OK in this case. I still have warranty.

What do you think? Is this problem with sensor? Maybe firmware is still not good and problem with banding have never been resolved?

Was your cellphone on? This looks like electromagnetic interference.

Cell phone? Really?
I don't remember, but phone was on the left side at about 1-2 meters.

Is this problem only with M8 or CCD sensor or maybe Kodak sensor?
I never heard about "electromagnetic interference" to digital camera.

Thank you, I can try it again.

Happy New Year for all on RFF !

Yes, when I first encountered these it took me a little bit to figure it out: this happened every single time I'd be sitting close to a friend, who used a Blackberry.

I don't think it's the sensor: I think that since the M8 is surrounded by a chunk of metal, that makes it more susceptible to becoming an "antenna" when near a source of interference such as a cellphone.

One more problem related to digital stuff then. Should the camera not be EMI protected like a tempest room?
I suggest trying to repeat the test and then ground the camera body throught the tripo screw and see what you get.
That sucks if revealed true.

Similar problem existed with Nikon D200 a few years back. Cell phone and "baby room monitors" appeared to be potential culprits if I recall correctly.

Back