Established
Local time
2:14 AM
The reason I would never let the 8 go. A M8 takes cool IR. Bill
4465674688_9828902d32_m.jpg
4464897769_e532720af5_m.jpg
4464898459_61135a9625_m.jpg

Maybe that was the original intention :D

Hard to believe such an oversight happened... Surprised Leica didn't over a new sensor "With" an IR filter as a system wide recall.

Love the IR look with the right subjects.
Nice images
Post more!!!

EDIT:
this gave me an idea to have a challenge at DPReview for M8 IR images
Opens for submission on April 7, 2010

Last edited:
The M8 also has the unique ability out of the two of being more available and affordable, generously using the term "affordable" here.

I wonder if there is a market for IR and UV digital cameras?

How does the M8 do in low visible light but high IR situations?

Thanks.

B2 (;->

Surprised Leica didn't over a new sensor "With" an IR filter as a system wide recall.

Right after the M9 came out, my first thought was "why didn't Leica offer an IR-filtered sensor for the M8 as an additional upgrade?" I figured a lot of people would have paid another $1000 while the camera was apart for a new shutter anyway.

However my feelings changed after I had the opportunity to use an M9 for an afternoon. One of the things I did was to bring along a black polyester jacket that I knew from experience turned magenta with the M8 unless an IR filter was used. Also from experience I knew that dark green palm leaves in mid-day sun turned a sickly yellow. I shot both the jacket and the palm leaves with my M8 (with an IR filter on the lens), the M9, and my Canon 5D. DNG/RAW, converted in Capture-1 using the appropriate profiles. The Leica lens I used was a factory 6-bit coded 50 Summilux-ASPH. The results were, the M8/filter and 5D depicted the black jacket as black and the green palm leaves as green (slightly more saturated with the 5D). The M9 depicted the black jacket as clearly with a magenta cast, though only roughly 25% as much as an unfiltered M8. The M9 depicted the green palm leaves as green, but definitely more to the yellow than the M8/filter or 5D.

I'm sure it's possible there are better profiles for the M9 that would minimize the effect, but as we know from the M8, a profile can't elminate the IR cast without the detriment of other colors. I'm not saying the M9 is bad, or that it needs an IR filter, just that the M8/filter eliminates the phenomenon more completely, like whatever they use in the Canon. It wouldn't stop me from getting an M9 eventually when the price is right, but I'm a lot less irritated by the IR filters on my M8 now.

sample shots would be nice for comparison. i think we have seen some examples to the contrary by happy m9 users. (??)

on a separate note, i concur that the term "affordable" is used rather loosely here...

makes sense

makes sense

Leica acknowledged at the M9 launch that the M9 did not remove all IR artifacts, but that it was in the range of pro DSLRs.

The users should be glad. A thicker IR filter over the sensor would further degrade M9 images, relative to the M8 with very thin filter on sensor.

Right after the M9 came out, my first thought was "why didn't Leica offer an IR-filtered sensor for the M8 as an additional upgrade?" I figured a lot of people would have paid another $1000 while the camera was apart for a new shutter anyway.

However my feelings changed after I had the opportunity to use an M9 for an afternoon. One of the things I did was to bring along a black polyester jacket that I knew from experience turned magenta with the M8 unless an IR filter was used. Also from experience I knew that dark green palm leaves in mid-day sun turned a sickly yellow. I shot both the jacket and the palm leaves with my M8 (with an IR filter on the lens), the M9, and my Canon 5D. DNG/RAW, converted in Capture-1 using the appropriate profiles. The Leica lens I used was a factory 6-bit coded 50 Summilux-ASPH. The results were, the M8/filter and 5D depicted the black jacket as black and the green palm leaves as green (slightly more saturated with the 5D). The M9 depicted the black jacket as clearly with a magenta cast, though only roughly 25% as much as an unfiltered M8. The M9 depicted the green palm leaves as green, but definitely more to the yellow than the M8/filter or 5D.

I'm sure it's possible there are better profiles for the M9 that would minimize the effect, but as we know from the M8, a profile can't elminate the IR cast without the detriment of other colors. I'm not saying the M9 is bad, or that it needs an IR filter, just that the M8/filter eliminates the phenomenon more completely, like whatever they use in the Canon. It wouldn't stop me from getting an M9 eventually when the price is right, but I'm a lot less irritated by the IR filters on my M8 now.

Just to add one more advantage for the M8, I love my APO 90mm Summicron on the M8. That is a 120mm telephoto without any external viewfinder. I use it with the 1.4 magnifier though.

For IR photography, I use a IR converted Nikon D40 purchased at $300 with 18-55mm lens. No need a M8 for IR photography.

I am not suggesting anyone go out and buy a M8 for IR. All I am saying is, if you have a M8, give IR a go. The ethereal effects can be haunting. There must be a 100 ways to get IR, actually you don't even need a IR camera, there is IR software that gives a IR effect with any image. If you own a M8 you can get a IR filter for a lot less than $300. Bill

Hi Miklosphot. I disagree with your statement:
"I love my APO 90mm Summicron on the M8. That is a 120mm telephoto without any external viewfinder. I use it with the 1.4 magnifier though"

A 90 on the M8 is exactly like a 90 on the M9, but with a reduced field angle.
On both camera the distance between the sensor and lens base is exactly the same.

Cheers

Hi Miklosphot. I disagree with your statement:
"I love my APO 90mm Summicron on the M8. That is a 120mm telephoto without any external viewfinder. I use it with the 1.4 magnifier though"

A 90 on the M8 is exactly like a 90 on the M9, but with a reduced field angle.
On both camera the distance between the sensor and lens base is exactly the same.

Cheers

Wait a minute, are you saying that with the same lens on M9 you don't have to get closer to your subject to get the same composition as with M8? Am I missing something?

You can always use the M9 as a 10MPixel camera, just use the center 70% of the image. Basically, just use a 1.3x crop factor. The Nikon D3 has a 1.5x mode for use with DX lenses. You just cannot go the other way with an M8 or D2x.

Back