M8 error - need help

taffy

Well-known
Local time
12:27 AM
I was shooting this morning and my camera's shutter stopped working. At first it felt a bit slow / weak for the shutter speed and later it wasn't taking photos. I looked at the shutter curtains and it I didn't quite go back all the way up.

Any idea what this is? Is this a normal m8 problem?

Attachments

• image-13688343.jpg
    image-13688343.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
  • image-1734778086.jpg
    image-1734778086.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image-231728186.jpg
    image-231728186.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
That slowness/weakness reminds me of how my M8 felt before the shutter died. That was earlier this year. I sent it off to Leica NJ for replacement (cost=$475).

My M8 was noticeably slower in terms of start-up time and operational speed before the shutter went south as well.

The shutter is officially dead. Thanks for the tip, JSU. The shutter went back in place but it wouldn't work after that. I guess u have to take it to Leica.

Taffy

I wonder if there are any trade-ins for an M9 or ME.

I had the camera fixed. It was a shutter replacement. After contacting several Leica repair shops - Leica Singapore, Leica New Jersey USA, and Schmidt Marketing Hongkong, I decided on Schmidt Marketing. They repaired it for $400 approx when others were charging 3x as much. It's working great now.

Also on the upgrade plan for the M9, the only M8s that qualify are those that suffer from the LCD problem so my unit did not qualify. Thanks for the help, folks!

Back