m8 is still a great camera

M8 taught me Leica M is unique in render. It was the first great digital BW camera, too.

All the controversy.......now we love it :)

I bought an M8 yesterday!

About 15000 actuations for equiv USD 830. The seller even included an original Leica leather strap!

Overall very good condition. Unfortunately I currently only have access to an old Industar 50/3.5 but am looking for an Ultron 28/2 which feel could be a good match.

Very eager to try it out but light is scarce this time of the year in Sweden...!

Va fan!

Where the hell did you pick that one up? I'm all over the place trying to score one! Blocket? Fotosidan? Tradera?

I don't like digital anything, much less digital B&W (lots of reasons, don't ask, tired of senseless arguments from people who have no idea what film can do), but some of the web files I have seen from the M8 cameras beat anything I have seen from the much more expensive newer digital cameras, Leica or not. Maybe it's the way that the noise in the shots more closely resembles film grain? I'm not sure, but they look about as good as you can get given the limitations. Of course, these were just web images, who knows what the prints look like in real life, but if I were shooting digital B&W this is the route I would go even today.

"I've had an M8 since they first came out. As pointed out earlier, setting the shutter mode to discrete muffles the sound somewhat. There is also a good workaround for the ISO issue. It was first suggested in the Leica forum and works well - set the ISO to 160 and the compensation to -3. It gives the equivalent of 1250 without the digital 'grain' issues. As suggested earlier, shoot RAW only, especially if you ever plan to use the files in color. Mine still works well and it's always in the bag when I take the film Ms out just in case I need a color shot. For the price, it's a great digital choice for M lenses."

The above is great advice for the complaints about shutter noise and high ISO issues. Check out this thread...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157595

Also if you hold the shutter button down using "discreet" the noise will be delayed until you release. This is especially effective on M8u and M8.2 with firmware updates.

Back