M8 Photos

M8 + CV 35/1.4 SC

I feel that I'm the last one on the M8 boat but I'm really enjoying this. And I'm very new to the CV Nokton 35 1.4 and it has been such a blast.

48670638153_30583897e1_c.jpg

Peter, I love the colors in your M8 shots. The pastel rendering is wonderful. Do you use an IR filter or are you shooting thread mount lenses? Again, thanks for sharing.

Peter, I love the colors in your M8 shots. The pastel rendering is wonderful. Do you use an IR filter or are you shooting thread mount lenses? Again, thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for this. As I recall, the shot of the street musician was made with a thread mount lens - in this case a Leica Summarit 50mm f1.5 in LTM shot at f2 if my memory does not betray me. I recall stopping down a tad from full open because this lens is somewhat soft full open - indeed the musician in this shot is still a little soft though this may be focus error on my part (though the face of the subject does have a lovely "rounded" slightly 3D quality to it). The Summarit is also notable for its lower contrast and pastel rendering -especially at wider apertures. The other image was made with a Version 3 Summicron 50mm which is much more modern and gives a more modern rendering. I am pretty sure it was also shot full open or one stop down. You will see it is also a little sharper. I do not believe I used an IR cut filter in these shots. In fact I think I recall that the knitted jumper worn by the musician was a little purple / magenta in the RAW image and I had to adjust this in Lightroom. Still it gave a nice result. People like the M8 in black and white because of the IR sensitivity. If you can deal successfully with the color cast it produces the effect is not necessarily too bad in color either.

I like the effect you refer to as well. And, if I do not get it with a specific lens, more often than not I will in any event deliberately lower contrast and saturation in post processing. It is just what I prefer and it is what I no doubt did in the case of the attractive young lady with red hair. I have been fairly honest about my proclivity to post process my images because I do not see it as a negative - though I know that some people do. I am after a result, an outcome, a look. I do not hold to a view that it all necessarily must be done in camera though if I can get it there by using a specific lens that is fine. Having said this both of the two photos below have had a touch of PP using Nik Color Efex and Nik Analog Efex. In the latter case, this filter, if used sensitively, can give an image that is a little closer to analogue. (Though not always - it easy to over do and I frankly admit I sometimes do over do it) :) .

PS there is I think something in the M8's sensor and software that does help with the rendering in these images. Had I shot these on a mirrorless I think they would have rendered differently even using the same lenses. The final result I settled on may have been similar but I would have had to work harder in post to get there.

You may like this image too. It demonstrates I think, how deliberately lowering contrast in post (if not already there from the lens used) can help when photographing in high contrast situations. Also shot with a Version 3 Summicron 50mm f2. In this case I like the way the warm lighting works to complement the oranges in the basin and in the fruit while also creating an intimate pool of light.

Back of House by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Peter, you've just inspired me to bring out my Xenon-Leitz Summarit 50 1.5. Compared to my ZM lenses and the CV 35 1.4., this lens does have lower contrast and has a pastel-y rendering to the look. I will also try out some of those things you do in post. Thanks for sharing

Peter, you've just inspired me to bring out my Xenon-Leitz Summarit 50 1.5. Compared to my ZM lenses and the CV 35 1.4., this lens does have lower contrast and has a pastel-y rendering to the look. I will also try out some of those things you do in post. Thanks for sharing

It is not often that I can be accused of inspiring someone. So will take this instance with pleasure. :)

I bought my well-loved M8.2 in the classifieds here about a year ago, and I still use it all the time. Someday it'll die, but so far it's going strong.

Heavy Lifting by Bryan Costin, on Flickr
Leica M8.2 with Jupiter-8 50mm/f2 about f4

Cottages by Bryan Costin, on Flickr
Leica M8.2 with Jupiter-8 50mm/f2 around f5.6

Smile! by Bryan Costin, on Flickr
Leica M8.2 with a Canon Serenar 35mm/f2.8, bought in Ugly condition a few years back and recently cleaned up a bit more

The Best!

The Best!

This is my second trip though this thread. The M8 has to be one of the best digital Leicas ever made based on image quality. Progress is not always relative to quality. Who would have ever thought that the M8 with all it's foibles and limitations (by today's standards) is worthy of being a collector camera? I own an M10 and I am still VERY impressed with the M8 in black white and color.

I'll NEVER sell my M9 Monochrom!

Back