M8 Problems Poll

M8 Problems Poll

• NO, my M8 never needed service under warranty or change by my dealer.

Votes: 207 68.8%
  • Yes, I had to send once my M8 to service or was changed once by my dealer.

Votes: 51 16.9%
  • Yes, I had to send more than once my M8 to service or was changed more than once by my dealer.

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
I have read a lot of internet forum threads complaining about the rangfinder becoming inaccurate. I recently had this problem when mine developed the issue. And it was not just a little off it was waaaaaaaay off - like 10 inches behind the subject with all lenses I tested at 3 metres.

I made some careful experiments with a distance scale marked on a board and then took shots at set distances using both the rangefinder and lens scales alternately. Half a dozen lenses - all off by a similar amount.

I took my unit to a local guy who seems to have adjusted it back to close to where it should be - at least its usable although I am still not sure its spot on. This guy who has been around for 40 years and is well experienced in adjusting M cameras says he can't understand it as M film cameras appear not to have the issue unless dropped or something and the digital rangefinder mechanics appear to be the same. Mine has been treated like a baby.

The blogger in this blog says that rangefinder zero drifting off the mark is common with M8s. (Great blog incidentally)

http://blog.mingthein.com/?s=leica+m8

Like any statistic .. can be read any which way you want ..

Not really. I don't think everyone intuitively realizes that polling for whether they had problems with their m8 in a sub-forum for m8 problems is likely to be heavily skewed as a higher percentage of people in such a forum have got a problem!

I agree with Jaap

Back