M8 Thumbwheel Problem

thcrozier

Local time
1:04 PM
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I've had my M8 for about 3 years. Last week the operation of the thumbwheel became intermittent. Sometimes I turn it and nothing happens, and other times I turn it and it will cause a jump through 4 or 5 menu items. It is essentially useless. [/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Any suggestions? If there is a simple fix or a way to remove it and clean whatever mechanism is underneath it, I would much rather do that than send it in for repair. I would hate to be without the camera for any extended period of time.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It has the latest firmware, I've done what I can to clean whatever contacts might be under the thumbwheel, but so far no joy.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Tom Crozier :bang:[/font]

Last edited:
Tom

Your camera needs a service (captain obvious). I wouldn't even attempt to service the thumb wheel as you need special tools and an anti static mat just to open your M8.

If you could get it open and apart without damaging anything then cleaning the contacts with pure Alcohol would be the best bet.
Use a soft lint free cloth + Alcohol to polish the contact surfaces of the thumb wheel. A micro fiber cloth would be ideal. Do you have an old micro fiber cloth that came with a pair of sunglasses?

While it's apart you could use a miniature electronic vacuum cleaner that is STATIC SAFE to vacuum out and dust.

I have an IT electronics back ground and I have all the tools to do the job.... I have serviced and repaired many computers and laptops over the years...
But I wouldn't even attempt to open an M8. Best left to Leica techs.

It's just too risky. What if you marred the wheel or cover or damaged one of the screws?

Please... Just send it away for service. You're M8 deserves that.
Jut think how nice it will be when it's back in your hands.

Peter :D

Chances are Leica will say it needs the entire board replaced. $450. Mine is in NJ right now with the same issue.

Back