M8 - What´s the worst that could happen?

The worst thing it could happen is the following:

the camera was tinkered with by a sadistic person with terroristic tendencies, it has an explosive charge that will detonate randomly. A certain day you tell your wife/girlfriend/mother "take a picture of this strange lake with my camera" and she says "no, I don't want to," but you insist madly until she does. And the camera explodes, but it doesn't kill her, instead leaves her blind with agonizing headaches and chronic excruciating pain, and she will moan and suffer and blame you until she is more than 100 years old. And you will live that long and see her suffer all the way through.

The chances are very small though.

The worst thing it could happen is the following:

the camera was tinkered with by a sadistic person with terroristic tendencies, it has an explosive charge that will detonate randomly. A certain day you tell your wife/girlfriend/mother "take a picture of this strange lake with my camera" and she says "no, I don't want to," but you insist madly until she does. And the camera explodes, but it doesn't kill her, instead leaves her blind with agonizing headaches and chronic excruciating pain, and she will moan and suffer and blame you until she is more than 100 years old. And you will live that long and see her suffer all the way through.

The chances are very small though.

Reading your post I'm asking myself what value it provides to members...

Worst case other than lcd screen, shutter fails and crashes into sensor . your are SOL.

The bill to remap the red line out is $450.

There is nothing cheap in Leica land, not even a neck strap.

32Gb cards

32Gb cards

I've been using 32Gb cards in my M8 for a couple years now. Had to purchase some for my Nikon D800 and monster 36mp images and then tried them in my M8. Have not had any issues. As for the noisy shutter sound, it's always fun when I'm somewhere, say at a national park and the tourist next to me gives me a strange look when they hear it. Once though a German guy turned quickly and said, "Hey, you have a Leica… nice!"

Someone will mug you and take every notes and coin in your Pockets. And find your camera looks like the one his father's cousin had and he leaves that as he gets no interests in that.

The M8 is an excellent camera overall. It is a great camera for portraits due to its crop factor. A 50mm lens on the M8 makes a good portrait lens. It takes Leica M lenses.

I have been regularly using an M8 (1/4000 sec) side by side with an M9 each week. I have not decided what I will do when/if the M8 dies. I may then just wait until I can get another digital Leica camera one day, and use the M9 side by side with the SWC.

If you worked at a facility that had nuclear armed missiles and you had the camera on the console, and if you knocked your coffee over fondling it, and if the coffee seeped into the panel, shorted it out, and accidentally launched a couple of missiles towards another country w/ nuclear weapons, and they returned the fire, you could destroy the earth and all life on it.

Other than that, I think the batteries are a little pricey.

Thinking of getting a used M8 now. I know of the shutter issue (workaround: not shooting continously) and the "coffee stains" (ok if the screen remains readable).

What´s the worst that could happen?

You'll need to shoot with an IR cutoff filter so your photos don't have a magenta cast. In addition, keep in mind that it is a 1.33x crop sensor camera, so your 28mm lens will be a 37mm, your 35mm lens will be a 47mm, and your 50mm lens will be a 67mm.

The M8 is an excellent camera overall. It is a great camera for portraits due to its crop factor. A 50mm lens on the M8 makes a good portrait lens. It takes Leica M lenses.

I have been regularly using an M8 (1/4000 sec) side by side with an M9 each week. I have not decided what I will do when/if the M8 dies. I may then just wait until I can get another digital Leica camera one day, and use the M9 side by side with the SWC.

What if the M8 outlast the M9?;)

Back