M8 - Which grip?

Larry Kellogg

Established
Local time
1:16 AM
Hello,
After seeing the video of the guy playing with the M8, there is no way I'm going to shoot like that only to have the camera squirt out of my hands and hit the sidewalk.

I have a nice leather wrist strap but I am wondering if the M8 will require a new bolt on grip. Does anyone have any information about that? I like to carry my R-D1 by a grip I adapted from one of the Nikon FM (?) grips with the wrist strap for extra protection.

One other thing, I am struck by how small the M8 looks in that video. Of course, it is hard to see scale, but it looks smaller and sleeker than I had expected. I think it is smaller than the R-D1. Any ideas?

Regards,

Larry

Larry,

It is the same size roughly as a M7 which is smaller then the Epson. We all will have to wait until the M8 arrives to see what grips and/or accessories become available or can be adapted. No one knows yet.

Yeah, I think we should wait until the M8 is actually announced before we begin asking what grip, case, card, vulcanite, matching sofa would go with it.

Only two more days...

I use a Abrahamsson Rapidgrip on the M4 and M6 but here's the catch, it attaches via the tripod socket at one end of the base plate. The M8 has a central tripod socket. It looks as if a complete new grip design will be needed.

A grip attached at one end adds a small amount to the height of the camera at the attachment end and leaves the left hand free to grip the remaining normal height section. With the M8 it looks as if any grip will add height to more than half the camera length.

I'm hoping Leica will produce an accessory grip like they did for the original M series.

Bob.

Last edited:
The tripod socket has moved to the center of the camera, so none of the existing grips for film Ms will work. And the body is a bit thicker front-to-back.

I assume both Leica and the 3rd-party grip-makers will offer retooled versions for the M8.

Thanks for the info, I figured that the grips wouldn't fit but I wanted to check. I'm happy that this camera is smaller than the R-D1. I had heard some people say it was as big as the DigiLux 2, I'm glad to see that it isn't that big, at least, I don't think so from the pictures.

Larry

I also have a TA Rapid grip for an M7. A truly wonderful accessory. I'm sure Tom will come up with an equally well designed grip for the M8.

Back