M9 Battery Issue

Jimbot

Established
Local time
8:58 AM
I am a sufferer of this M9 disorder:

http://en.leica-camera.com/news/news/1/8263.html

I haven't read too much about this particular issue here so I guess it must not yet be too widespread.
I have sent my camera to the Australian Leica- recommended service provider about a month ago. They have acknowledged the warranty issue and are waiting for the replacement part to arrive from Germany. ETA is 31 October 2011 at present.

I was just wondering how many members here have/are experiencing the "false battery low" issue and how long those who have had it fixed waited for the repair to be done?

Thanks

I often have a similar problem, but I'm not sure, if this is the one mentioned in the link.

If one battery is empty, and I change to a fully loaded new one, after the first switch on of the camera, it shows an empty battery. If I switch the camera off an on again, the battery capacity is show correct most times. Sometimes I have to repeat that a few times.

But since I only have one Leica and three third party batteries, I am not sure, if the problem is in the camera or in the batteries. Two of my third party-batteries do not work at all in the M9, so I tend to think, that they are the problem.

Third party batteries are missing a circuit inside to allow the camera to tell the correct state of charge. They will show 'full' if fully discharged be fore charging, but an intermediate charge will often show 'battery low' even though full. Press the 'set' button to carry on shooting and when the camera realises its impossible that the battery is still working it recalibrates itself and shows the correct remaining charge.

But I think that problem is different to the OP's which is camera related.

Steve

My M9 did not suffer from this issue before my trip to Italy during which tbere was lots of rain. I kept the camera dry, but now the camera just shuts off.

My loan M9 suffered from this in 2012 during our South America Trip.
Very annoying. It didnt seem to occur all the time. & does not occur with the M8.
Surely you only need 3 connections on your battery to know what the charge state is. Nikon Olympus et al. can tell how much charge is in a 3rd party Battery!
Why cant a LeicaM9?

Back