M9 Dead?

gdmcclintock

Well-known
Local time
8:44 PM
My M9 appears to have died. With a freshly charged battery, the shutter will not fire and the menu display will not light up. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I purchased the camera in 2011 and had the sensor replaced in 2017. I imagine Leica will charge a small fortune to repair the camera. I wonder if it's worth it....

Thanks very much!

Pull the battery. Turn it on with your finger pushing the shutter button.
Put battery back in. Turn in with finger pushing the shutter button.
Try a different memory card and/or remove the memory card.

Pretty much try any combination of removing, replacing battery/memory card/turning it on.

Yes, I tried various combinations of batteries and cards. No luck. Sigh.

Pull the battery. Turn it on with your finger pushing the shutter button.
Put battery back in. Turn in with finger pushing the shutter button.
Try a different memory card and/or remove the memory card.

Pretty much try any combination of removing, replacing battery/memory card/turning it on.

Could it be that the M9's internal battery has died? This happens if the camera has been lying unused for a long time with an exhausted or no main battery in the camera. The usual remedy is to insert a fully charged main battery and leave it overnight, to charge the internal battery. Sometimes the internal battery can't be revived and a replacement by the Leica doctor is necessary.

OEM Battery/batteries? It can matter. Different brand card. Try no card and see if it will light up and tell you that.....

Back