M9 plus Canon 50mm LTM f/1.8

What is not as well known with the Black Canon 50/1.8: The early ones have more aperture blades, can be found with 11 blades- not the usual 8. I also believe early ones might have better condition glass. I am guessing that Canon switched to a different lubricant somewhere around 1958. Maybe luck of the draw, but my Canon 50/1.2 and 50/1.8 are both early, both have perfect glass. I've had several later ones- damaged/etched glass.

The Black lens uses newer glass than the chrome lens: a glass with low dispersion and high index of refraction. I also have a perfect-glass chrome 50/1.8. The black one is sharper, higher contrast. The Chrome 50/1.8 is improved over the 50/1.9, and all are better than the Canon 5cm F2.

My sample is a later black and satin chrome, from the ‘60s. Serial No. 328***, 8 blades. The glass on mine is very clear and clean, but then it’s been cleaned twice, the first time by Sherry Krauter and the second time by Youxin Ye after the haze returned.

The lens remains a very good performer. I particularly like the way it renders out of focus areas: very smooth, painterly.

wide open:

Cafe Sperl by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

f2 or f2.8:

Sao Domingos by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

Now you've got me checking. Eleven iris blades, all clean as is the glass which may be better glass as the SN is low, 203nnn. I lucked out with this lens. I had good guidance on what to look for. And I am very happy with how it handles everything, in focus, out of focus, color, gradation, the entire image. I will have to try it on an M8 and an M240. I have a sneaky feeling it will do well there also. And on the Sony A73.

Steve's two images make me wonder of I should just save that Amotal money and spend it on fast horses, strong drink and wicked women. And cigars, lots of Cuban cigars, los puros.

Don't worry, there are lots more lenses, and versions of lenses to spend money on.

All too True, All too True. But for Canon 50mm lenses- I'm content with eleven different lenses. I count the chrome 50/1.8 and Black Canon 50/1.8 as two different lenses as the formula changed.

I have a chrome Canon Serenar 50/1.8. I haven't used this lens in many years. I will get it out and check it for haze too.

Back