M9 sensor discontinued

The regular M10 has no new sensors made since 2017.

Apparently this is Leica's new business plan. Broken camera? Here is a $20 off coupon that you can redeem to the purchase of our latest version.

All kidding aside, I have not heard of any sensor issues with the M240 series, let alone the M10. I wouldn't worry. Too much.

I will be optimistic about my M10. I might as well stay optimistic about my M9 and older M8.

Thank you Emile. These are expensive cameras, and I hope that the M10 will work well for many years to come.

I'd say you bought at the perfect time... it is still a relevant Leica and it has dropped to a "decent" price used.

Well..if you had Huss's M9 m-e ..that was crap right outta the box..and going back and forth to Leica w/o a fix..for months on end..
And then sell for a loss..

Believe it or not, I do have Huss' old M-E, and it is still working as we speak. It has had a sensor replacement (the 2nd one if I am not mistaken), and has been in service since I bought it in early 2014. I am not saying it has been a perfect camera, but it has performed well, even if it does have its quirks.

It's frustrating knowing that sooner or later, that camera will officially become obsolete - meaning, it can no longer take pictures. However, life is short, and if there's anything this epidemic has taught me, it's to live in the moment and make the best of everything. I've made plenty of keeper images on that M-E and that's worth more than the cost. However, I have far less expensive, and older digital cameras that have been more reliable than the Leica, so it doesn't automatically get a 'pass.'

I echo thoughts on the M-240 - it is under appreciated, probably gives you 80% of the performance an M10 does, and has a larger battery for prolonged shooting sessions. I don't think that sensor is going to corrode.

When I was debating a Monochrom camera, I steered away from the M9 variants, even with new sensors, since the price between them and the 240-variants was only a few hundred dollars.

At this rate, my M8 will outlive the M-E, but it has done (and will continue to do) an admirable job. Bad decision from Leica, though - they should have purchased, or acquired enough sensors to service cameras for at least another 5-10 years.

Believe it or not, I do have Huss' old M-E,
Back in the day..I wrestled with the idea of getting an m-e for around $4900- I believe it was..on discount brand new..
Good lookin cam..but we didnt know the problems were back then..
I decided to not do it..
Then I debated getting the 240 m-e..more recently..

But didnt do it..
Maybe I should have..

Still chugging along with my M9 after ten years and a new sensor. It has taken more images than any other camera I own, and if it continues to be viable for another ten years, I'll be very happy. Twenty years for a high end digital camera isn't to be sneezed at. If I can pick up a good condition M9-P with new sensor in the next few years, that will keep me going for another ten years after that.

I'm so glad I got my sensor replaced when I did...among the very last free replacements. I will be happy to get another 5 years... more than that even better, but 5 years is a long time among digital cams...

I don't even understand why this is even an issue. The M9 is over 10 years old now, although granted its derivatives are not. Are there other 10 year old cameras whose sensors are still available?
I have two M9s and one M9M. They all have had the stainless sensor installed under Leica's "goodwill" program, and they are all fine at the moment. I don't expect their sensors to fail anytime soon. In fact they've been totally reliable for me, apart form the sensor corrosion.

Are there other 10 year old cameras whose sensors are still available?.

If they didn’t fail, the availability would not be an issue. Nobody knows if sensors for a Nikon D200 are still available, because those sensors
don’t fail.
(Though as I mentioned before, I can’t fault Leica for the availability problem, because it’s the party who fabbed them that has made them unavailable. For good reasons of their own, most likely.)

The problem is that Leica stated "lifetime warranty".

They volunteered that. When they knew that was 100% BS.

Everybody has to move forward ... no surprises.
Good thing I never bought an M9. I don't have the money for digital really, but why not design a good sensor and stick with it? The M9 sensor is fine, and takes photos. That's it.

I don't even understand why this is even an issue. The M9 is over 10 years old now, although granted its derivatives are not. Are there other 10 year old cameras whose sensors are still available?

Because people love their M9 and can't get it repaired...even at crazy Leica prices for repair.

Back