M9 shutter fault error

bene

Established
Local time
6:28 PM
I am not sure if anyone has this problem yet but I got it argh..
7 month old, 15K actuations, brassed and looks like an M3
I am quite shock as I rely on this camera everyday!
I will be bring to the dealer tomorrow.

I was at a fair last weekend and it happened for the first time with the M9.

Thought I was holding the shutter down in continuous mode at first, it was clicking and trying to re-cock perhaps (that sort of sound) - a couple times. Looked at the screen on the back and it displayed a shutter fault message.

Turned camera off and waited for a few seconds - turned back on and everything was normal.

Camera has about 23000 clicks on it, used for 5 1/2 months.

I'm already thinking of sending this in for a rangefinder adjustment. The rangefinder went out of wack, but after adjusting infinity with an allen wrench brought it back (need to test thoroughly), I just just kept on with it..

Please let us know what you find with the dealer, and if they suggest sending it in for service, or if they facilitate the process for you.

M9 is on its way to Solms! falling back on my M7 and GRD

Dealer says this can happen when you use bulb mode to clean shutter. I never did that before...

I think it might take some time... sigh
This is just when I going on a long photo project...

Anyone else has similar problem?

It make me wonder the reliability of the M9...

Will update on their conclusion and maybe a means of prevention.

Last edited:
Th exactly same error appeared on my brand new M9 I bought from an official retail shop of Leica Japan. It appeared on my very first shot! After that it happened at least 2 times out of 30 shots. I phone called and the lady who answered just told me to bring it in for check with no apology at all. So I called the shop I bought it. The manager said he had never heard of it but brought an other new one to my home, saw the error message and replaced it with apology. I strongly believe it is a default of the camera itself and very skeptical of its reliability. Please try find "Leica M9のシャッターが故障” on You Tube. Sorry it is partially Japanese but you will find exactly how it happens.

That's awful. I have plenty to purchase an M9, but I'm not buying one because of all of these issues. I won't have a $7,000 camera that doesn't come with the reliability, service and support I expect for such a premium item. I'll keep shooting film.

Same thing happened to me, but on the very first attempted exposure. Right out of the box, mind you. So much for my foray into DRF's. Glad I never sold my film M's, I'm with Mister E above.

Hi I got my M9 back but no explanation was given....
They just adjusted Rf, Shutter and sensor as well as repainted my M9 logo...
Oddly enough after the adjustment exposure seem more accurate and histogram more full.
Anyway regarding the shutter fault issue I believe it is due to condensation that affects the electronics. This is base on what I read on Leica forum. Given asia is very humid and contrast in temperature that from sunny to air-con, its a problem. I think that is the problem.......

Some suggest using ziplock bags and etc...

Only change I made is to remove the baseplate when storing the camera in my dry cabinet

Luckly it was on warranty if not the fix will cost 319 euros for just labor not including shipping...

Mr E : nicely said! but I am quite happpy with my M9 given the workflow, it brings. Is it an overhyped camera? well depends on how much you love the convenience of digital and the RF way of seeing. Both, I am very fond.

Mr E : nicely said! but I am quite happpy with my M9 given the workflow, it brings. Is it an overhyped camera? well depends on how much you love the convenience of digital and the RF way of seeing. Both, I am very fond.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not disparaging your M9, just saying I'd never consider owning a camera, especially one with that price tag that I had to put in a $.03 cent bag to keep it from breaking.

Mr E : I didn't think of it that way. Relax. ;)
I agree putting a 3 cent bag is really .... a joke.
But I did find the leicarefund a bit upsetting. I do get tease quite a bit for using an M9...

The M9 was to me sensible because I was spending $3000 a year on film and development this doesn't include the scanning, cleaning , loading...

A 5d Mrk2 is great and all but it just doesn't work when doing my personal photography. But If I am doing a job it will be the 5dm2 no doubt.

Yeah, I feel you. I've considered an M9 several times. I have the money, I spend more than an M9 in film every year, but for now film just seems the best choice for ME. I hope you're M9 works well from here on out.

Back