M9 with no dealer warranty

Ron,
The opportunity has passed but I'll still write this as it may be of use to others at some point or another. I recently bought an M8.2 second hand from a dealer in the UK. Camera came with a passport application which had not been filled in but had no dealer stamp and the dealer did not specifically know the original dealer who sold it when new, or the original date it was bought. I asked him if he was able to contact the original owner who traded it in for another camera to get some info, as the camera was sold to me with the claim that it came with a full two year Passport warranty. The dealer wasn't very helpful but after some pushing was able to tell me where it was originally sold (Wilkinsons, but they have a number of branches)
Anyway I decided to contact Leica UK directly, explain the situation and they were most helpful. They issued me with a passport dated from the date it was supplied to the dealer, so about six months previous. I now have a Passport valid until April 2011. I can't sing Leicas praises enough!

How do I add a link to my Flickr in my posts, anyone?

Thanks, indeed this thread may help also others who buy now second hand M8, M8.2 and M9's. Your story sounds great anyway.

Just remember that with the Passport warranty it goes with the camera, not the buyer/seller. This is a big deal because you can transfer it. The dealer has no bearing on that warranty.

Here in the US we only get this with lenses.

This is quite a testament to Leica. There doesn't seem to be very many companies that stand behind their products with such service. It certainly shows that they are proud of what they produce, and that they believe the customer is important. My experience has been that many small manufacturers are of a like mind. The shortsightedness of the dealers is another matter.

No problem Ron. Could you help me with "How to" add the link? Thanks

From memory (this is how I inserted my blogs).

Go to the User CP (up in the toolbar with "Home," "Forums," and the like), click on edit your signature, insert the link using the chain icon that appears in the message toolbar.

It's relatively easy. Take care!

I always deal with Leica directly. I once had a D-Lux 3 with an AF problem, but I had lost all the paperwork. Reaction of Leica: No problem, sir, we have a record of the date the camera was shipped and we will repair it under guaranty. In my experience these things are never a problem with Leica.

Back