M9 with Pentax-M 50mm 1.4

Funny timing on this thread. I was in a Leica store a few days ago chatting with the salesman and it turned out we were both Pentax fans and admirers of vintage Takumar glass. I love my thorium 50mm f/1.4 Not too worried about radioactivity as I don't carry it in my front pants pocket and have all the kids I want anyway.

I also picked up a 35mm f/3.5 Super Tak but haven't finished off my first test roll with it yet. Need to get busy on that.

L1001938-4K.jpg

L1001937-X4.jpg

L1001956-X4.jpg

Wow the images are very nice. For the record I much prefer the color versions to the black and white.

I know I used to have one of these on my Pentax MX but I can't recall if I sold or gave one or both away. Will have to check.

If there's not too much involved I would have it converted so I can use on my M9 after seeing this. I always liked that lens.

I started my photography with Pentax lenses - the screw mount M42 versions for the most part. I did, for a brief time, buy and use an early Pentax AF camera and lens and while the camera itself was as ugly as any I have ever seen (and so was the lens) that lens was damn nice in terms of optical performance. (Pentax was not alone in producing some fugly camera gear in the late 1980s. I guess it was that kind of era.)

I later shifted to Nikon equipment but I honestly have to say I do not think I liked any lenses more than I liked the results I got with Pentax equipment. Their rendering is just so nice. It is not to say the Nikons are not as good - they are. Just different.

You have reminded me of this Raid and convinced me to get them out once more and start using them.

Wow the images are very nice. For the record I much prefer the color versions to the black and white.

I know I used to have one of these on my Pentax MX but I can't recall if I sold or gave one or both away. Will have to check.

If there's not too much involved I would have it converted so I can use on my M9 after seeing this. I always liked that lens.

Thanks. Maybe someone still offers to modify the mount for the Pentax lens.

I took some photos yesterday morning with the M9 and Pentax-M lens at the beach. The clouds were looking good!
The M9 was set to ISO 160 and the Pentax-M to 8~11.

smug1-X3.jpg

smug2-X3.jpg

smug3-X3.jpg

smug10-X3.jpg

smug4-X3.jpg

smug5-X3.jpg

smug7-X3.jpg

smug6-X2.jpg

smug8-X3.jpg

smug9-X3.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a M9, and was wondering if you could tell me more about this set up? These images look great.

Hi Derek,
If you go through the posted comments in this thread you will find a link given in which Roland “Ferider” shows his step by step modifications of the Pentax M to Leica M mount.
I bought the lens already modified to Leica mount.

I wouldn't know how to make such an adaptation to a lens. Maybe someone puts up his modified lens for sale here? I bought my lens modified.

Here are some new photos taken with the M9 and the Pentax-M 50/1.4. I did not do any PS to any image at all. The colors are subtle with this lens, but that day the colors were like this at our beaches.

At the parking lot close to Fort Pickens on Pensacola Beach.

PntM-%20%282%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

I focused on the water and not on the sea oats

PntM-%20%283%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Subtle colors (tpwards the East)
PntM-%20%284%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Towards the West. The sun is setting more to the right of this image, not over the Gulf.

PntM-%20%285%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

PntM-%20%286%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Back looking towards the East. Having this view available to me for the past 32 years.

PntM-%20%287%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

PntM-%20%288%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Rasha allowed me to quick snapshots of her

PntM-%20%289%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

PntM-%20%2810%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Our beaches are often "unpopulated" or with very sparse beach population

PntM-%20%2811%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

No spectatcular sunset here; if I had waited 20-30 additional minutes, there was a deep crimson red sunset! I am used to such sunsets, so no big deal. Dinner was waiting for us.

PntM-%20%2813%20of%2021%29-X3.jpg

Back