Magnum Portfolio Review

erikhaugsby

killer of threads
Local time
7:38 AM
I saw this over at filmlives.net.

http://festival.magnumphotos.com/2007/06/17/first_impression_portfolio_review.php

On June 17, in NYC, the Magnum Photo Agency is having a handful of their photographers (newer guys, nobody like Koudelka :() open to giving critiques and reviews to portfolios (max. 20 images). $250 fee, and a 30 minute time limit on comments.

If I actually had photographic experience I might feel compelled to go, but as is I would be downright ashamed to give any amount of my prints to a Magnum associate.

I hope they keep this up for a few years so that I can one day have the money and portfolio needed for this event.

If I didn't have family commitments and wasn't in the processing of buying/selling/moving my home, I'd apply.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If... actually, lots of ifs and buts are keeping me from applying and going to NYC. And I know that if I really would want to make it big(ger), I'd have to forget about those ifs and buts and just do it.

I won't apply and won't go to NYC but I've told myself to think about what I'd want to show for a portfolio if I ever would get such an opportunity. Maybe I'll just put one together and try to get someone to take a look at it here in Holland. (Did you read all the ifs, maybes and think-abouts?) :)

$250??!!!
When I was starting out I joined the Western Canadian News Photographers Association and got all the free critiquing I could handle. Some pretty top photogs too, like Nick Didlick and Rob Galbraith.

Dave, true, but how many of us are eligible to join a pro photog group or association? Not many. And then such an opportunity can be enlightening, though a bit expensive. But hey, at least you won't spend it on yet another lens you don't need. :)

Back