Making the A7II more comfortable

twopointeight

Well-known
Local time
3:06 PM
Its ok the way it is but as I have large hands and shoot plenty of verticals, it can be awkward to hold. 3 options: A half case, an Arca Swiss camera plate, or the Sony extender for the grip. Any recommendations appreciated.

Same for me with the non-Trump like hands.
I have the original Sony battery grip on the v1 A7 and it's great.
Adds some weight and plenty of extra grip surface plus holds 2 batteries .
Sony included the dials and shutter button as well as the focus aid button.
All in it's pretty great.

When I want to go lighter weight with a small lens, I use the Neewer Arca base plate.
Just adds a bit of grip surface to get my ring finger and pinky something to wrap around.

Have you thought about a battery grip?

Have you thought about a battery grip?

Dear twopointeight,

I'm not sure if you are just looking for something to add a little more to hold to the bottom of the camera or if you are looking for something that also provides a vertical shutter release?

Amazon has a number of examples of each. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-168099871049&ref=pd_sl_4ghc8b9g43_b_p20

Personally, I prefer the extra capacity of a battery grip and have them on every DSLR I own. I do understand that they are not for everyone though. In case you are wondering about brands I can tell you that I have OEM battery grips as well as battery grips from 3rd party manufacturers like Neewer and Meike. All of them do the same job and none of them have given me a bit of trouble.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Ordered the very inexpensive L bracket with Arca-Swiss groove. I use similar ones on my Fuji bodies. If it doesn't work out with the A7II it cost less than $20. The Sony extension covers the battery access door, so no good. The leather half case doesn't appeal. The Sony battery grip might be best for my vertical portrait purposes, but the weight.

I tried both the battery grip and the grip extender on the A7 iii, fed up by the uncomfortable little-finger-in-the-air syndrom. The battery grip adds too much volume for my likes, so I stayed with the grip externder. The user experience is fantastic now, even shooting verticals with only the standard shutter button on the camera.

Back