Mamiya 6 vs Bronica SQ A

AlexMax

Established
Local time
9:34 AM
Hi

I am considering to venture in the MF world... And I have this wonderful opportunity to buy a Mamiya 6 rangefinder, or a Bronica SQ A.

I would like to hear your opinions, on wether to choose, in terms of IQ, reliability, repairability ( heard that Mamiyas are no longer maintained, and components may become scarce...)

...I like the Mam, because it is a rf... But bronica will allow for wider wides, and longer teles...

Tough choice...

Best regs

Alex

besides the 6x6 they are almost opposites. I use to have a Mamiya 7, which is similar, and I currently have an SQ-B.

The Mamiya 6 is way more expensive, but much simpler to use. Very nice ergonomics; feels great in the hand. Collapsible lens mount lets it be quite small in your bag. SQ's are non-ergonomic. Big and heavy. SQ can take multiple backs so you can shoot b&w and colour at the same time. SQ system has many lenses that are dirt cheap. I bought a 65mm here for $75US; insane quality.

If the Mamiya had another wide and was half the price I would have it! I like rf's more than SLR's, but the Bronica SQ is a great system.

Like benlees, I've owned both. They are very different cameras, for different purposes.

The SQ is big and loud, good for studio work and portraiture, not that great for travel and street. The Mamiya 6 is smaller (a little), MUCH quieter, more easily handheld, but, because it's an RF, not quite as precise in framing and composition. And it's less flexible during a session, in that you can't change film mid-roll, you can't have an assistant loading up backs for you as you shoot. It's can't handle macro lens extensions or Polaroid backs, both of which I've used on the Bronica.

The SQA is indeed much cheaper, and if it breaks you can just buy another body for less than $100. My Mamiya 6 froze up and it cost several $100s to fix it. Neither camera is supported by a manufacturer.

I sold the Mamiya and kept the Bronica, but I wish I'd kept both.

As everyone has said, totally different cameras. I've owned the Mam6 and Hasselblad 500cm which is similar to the Bronica SQ.

So it all depends completely on the type of photography you intend to do, and your shooting style. The Mam6 will be much faster to use, great for street. The MF SLR will excel at slow, precise framing, and close-ups.

Of the two, the Mam6 is more expensive in the used market. If you can afford it, get it. I wish I still had mine. I only had the normal lens, but the wide angle available for it would be sweeet!

Back