Massive overexposure in A mode

thmk

Well-known
Local time
2:10 AM
Today I got a used M8 (upgraded, Firmware 2.004) and have the problem that the camera seems to overexpose a lot in A mode. I shot outside in the evening and indoors and everytime there was an overexposure of about 2-3EV, e.g. my M6 showed me 1/8 sec but the A mode of the M8 constantly showed about 1 sec. I had the problem with a Summicron 2/50 and a Summicron 2/35 asph. All lenses are not coded. Do I miss some point here?

I included an example taken with Summicron-M at f2. Not the best shots but they were taken within 16 seconds and show the problem.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

Attachments

• 1-15sec_manual.jpg
    1-15sec_manual.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1-4sec_A-Mode.jpg
    1-4sec_A-Mode.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi Thomas-Michael,

The only difference I can find examining the EXIF is that the picture taken in A Mode shows your camera set to `Flash Auto Mode` and the Manual Mode shows `Flash Compulsory Mode`.

I believe this will effect how your camera calculates exposure.

Try differing the Flash setting in Aperture Priority mode to see if there's a difference.

Incidentally, did you know that your camera has taken an incredible 22964 pictures in it's lifetime? Testament surely to the build quality of these fantastic cameras.

Last edited:
When I got my M8, I had the same problem, but whenever I used it during the day, it exposed just fine. It only overexposed in lowlight situations, where there is no light source within the frame (viewfinder frame). Even in manual mode, the arrows kept pointing to the right to overexpose. Apparently, the meter was out of whack (probably got bumped during shipping or something). Only able to "see" in good light. Spent about $135 for the repair in Leica HK (including the usual sensor cleaning, adjustment, etc) and shipping. Of course the seller paid for all this. :)

Today I went to the store where I bought the camera and did some comparison shots with another M8 they had for sale. This camera clearly did not show the described problem. My M8 is now on the way to Solms for repair. That is what I like about shopping expensive stuff at local stores. I get a warranty for 6 months and have no trouble except from living about 10 days without the M8 :)

It took more than the expected 10 days but I got my M8 back on Wednesday and it is working fine after the service. Even the one dead pixel it had was addressed by Leica. Now it is time to take some pictures :)

Back