New York May NYC Meet-Up

Hello NYC,

Well, I’m back in town (from France) for a few days to take care of personal stuff. Weird being back. I feel like a tourist. I haven’t logged into RFF since January. Not sure why. Hard for me to be in two places at the same time . My wife and I haven’t decided if we will return permanently or not. She’s basically stuck in a inflexible immigration process with many requirements (such as learning the language) . If she quits , she must start all over again if we decide to stay there. Also we have a dog. Taking him to Nice was a real ordeal and bringing him back won’t be easy.

Haven’t done a lot of photography. When I arrived I couldn’t find BW film or development products so I had to order from Germany. Took two weeks to arrive. At the time , I was alone with time on my hands so that was frustrating. I’ve been shooting with my black paint Leica M4 and HP5 developed in HC-110. My first rolls had a lot of water spots so I had to start using purified water and a wetting agent, something that was never necessary in NY . Apparently the water comes from the Alps. Not a lot of street shooting opportunities so I’ve been taking pics of .. the beach. Anyways , here’s a sample for anyone interested :

http://mono.nyc/ph/nice/

Cal, I hope you’re taking a lot of pics of your active social life. Would be a great record of a moment in time in the NY scene

Hope all is well with everyone

On Netscape in the New York section of the homepage they are promoting the Tap and Pay event that "Maggie" and I attended last Tuesday.

They present a video link to a Liam Payne performance and mention Eli Manning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...-launch-contactless-payment-on-mta/ar-AABKCSm

From a PR standpoint they are pumping this Tap and Pay as a big deal, but other big cities like London already have this system built out. Not really new at all.

Cal

I had to look up Netscape to see that it is still around.

Cal, be mindful that 5222 iso is sensitive to filtration. Eastman has a different rating and slightly different development for the film when a filter is used vice no filter. It swings between 200 and 250.
Phil Forrest

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hello NYC,

Well, I’m back in town (from France) for a few days to take care of personal stuff. Weird being back. I feel like a tourist. I haven’t logged into RFF since January. Not sure why. Hard for me to be in two places at the same time . My wife and I haven’t decided if we will return permanently or not. She’s basically stuck in a inflexible immigration process with many requirements (such as learning the language) . If she quits , she must start all over again if we decide to stay there. Also we have a dog. Taking him to Nice was a real ordeal and bringing him back won’t be easy.

Haven’t done a lot of photography. When I arrived I couldn’t find BW film or development products so I had to order from Germany. Took two weeks to arrive. At the time , I was alone with time on my hands so that was frustrating. I’ve been shooting with my black paint Leica M4 and HP5 developed in HC-110. My first rolls had a lot of water spots so I had to start using purified water and a wetting agent, something that was never necessary in NY . Apparently the water comes from the Alps. Not a lot of street shooting opportunities so I’ve been taking pics of .. the beach. Anyways , here’s a sample for anyone interested :

http://mono.nyc/ph/nice/

Cal, I hope you’re taking a lot of pics of your active social life. Would be a great record of a moment in time in the NY scene

Hope all is well with everyone

Philippe,

Welcome back.

Interesting to note that at these events and parties I don't feel at ease. I kinda feel like an outsider even though or maybe because of the VIP treatment.

Inside I know I'm perhaps different and yet not so special.

I think Christian captures it, that my like is both ghetto and glam.

In NYC the disparity has gotten even worse. If you have the chance go to Hudson Yards. Pretty much a manufactured community for the wealthy. I find it insulting. Meanwhile the homeless problems are worse.

I killed my 3880 while you were gone. I recycled lots of stuff from that printer to Christian. Meanwhile my 7800 needs to have the dampers changed out because accumulations in the dampers have developed over the years. Spent about $350.00 on a set of OEM dampers, but I have not installed them yet.

So now is an opportunity to immerse myself back into film. Negatives and wet printing offer me the most rewards personally. For me it is like coming home.

Some inside smut: I have been living in East Harlem for about 9 years. My life has always been disrupted and unstable to some extent, but the nine years in SpaHa has been the longest I have ever lived in one place in my life, and that includes my childhood.

Meanwhile my job might be possibly eliminated. Uncertainty enters again, but there are good reasons to think that employment might possibly extend a few more years. At age 61 it is not so easy to replace a high income...

Cal

I had to look up Netscape to see that it is still around.

Cal, be mindful that 5222 iso is sensitive to filtration. Eastman has a different rating and slightly different development for the film when a filter is used vice no filter. It swings between 200 and 250.
Phil Forrest

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Phil,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have to investigate this further.

I killed a Nikon F5 by jamming the shutter. Now it is a paperweight. I liked the UBER high shutter speeds to kill film speed, but with the F3P with only 1/2000 of a second I still could use a polarizer as a neutral density filter with the bonus of contrast control.

This is one reason why I love SLR's: I love shooting a SLR with a polarizer.

I do use a skylight or UV filter on some single coated glass to protect the front element, but some I shoot naked. Hmmm...

Then again on rangefinders for landscape shooting I use a yellow filter to boost contrast. Hmmm...

Cal

Cal, 5222 has what Eastman calls a "lubricant" on the film to help it move through cameras at high speeds. This will help still cameras lengthen the life of film transport. So get another F5 or get yours fixed and shoot away.

Phil Forrest

Cal, 5222 has what Eastman calls a "lubricant" on the film to help it move through cameras at high speeds. This will help still cameras lengthen the life of film transport. So get another F5 or get yours fixed and shoot away.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

I love the F5 and was contemplating getting a replacement rather than getting it repaired. I guess I could drop it off at Nippon Camera Clinic and get a free estimate, but the camera has an other issue also: the motorized rewind does not work. For me a guy that shoots like a hitman in three round bursts fast shooting and loading is important.

Generally I re-position myself by moving closer with each shot, this way I have a grouping to edit from. One of the three shots will be better than the other two.

My F5 is also optimized with a screen change and a DK-17 magnifier. The Noct-Nikkor and Leica 50 Lux-R "E60" love the F5. The 50 Lux adapter I use has a spring loaded Aperture lever so I can open the iris and simply release the lever to take a shot.

Cal

So this Sunday, see you guys then.
Joe

Joe,

I have some 5222 negatives to show you. Also I'll be bringing some gear to show you for respooling the 800 foot roll. I also have this Leica bulk loader that I think I will rig up.

I have some very impressive results with DDX and Diafine.

Cal

Back