Maybe Tamron will beat Sigma to FE mount

Tamron has strong ties to Sony, and will not be making that series behind their back. Apparently Sony does not intend to make a series of f/2.8 primes themselves, but might be planning faster lenses.

Poor DOF.
There are hundreds MF lens f2,8 that you can have basically for free.
At least f1,8 would be interesting but within competitive price range (for example Canikon 50mm 1,8).

Well, actually they will have great DOF. I think you mean that you won't be able to get a narrow depth of field or something to that effect right? Realize that a 60mm with 2.8 aperture on FF does allow for quite a narrow depth of field. The point also is these are AF lenses, they could be small, and Sony doesn't have a ton of native primes available.

Poor DOF.

It is the f/1.8 lens that has less DOF, wide open. And while the cry for faster lenses for narrower DOF may have had some validity when we were dealing with smaller sensors and lower pixel counts, current sensor resolution limits on FF are deep in the medium format domain - where f/2.8 was a ultra-fast lens, with not enough DOF for a decent portrait by any professional standard. I suspect that by the time the masses have grasped the DOF constraints of 50MP+ sensors, we'll return to speeds as common on MF (where f/3.5 to f/8 primes were perfectly normal).

There are hundreds MF lens f2,8 that you can have basically for free.

Tamron seems to suppose that there are enough people that prefer a native f/2.8 lens to any adapted MF lens to make that development profitable. For all I know, they might be right...

Tamron seems to suppose that there are enough people that prefer a native f/2.8 lens to any adapted MF lens to make that development profitable. For all I know, they might be right...
Plus 1..

Sigma while they have some very high speed dslr lenses for all the major player, have always had a series of very nice compact f2.8 lenses for mirrorless apsc and m43 cameras. They must be doing quite well considering that they just finished re-releasing their art series for mirrorless just last year.

Hopefully Sigma will respond in kind w/ FE support. I love the Sigma lenses both in mirrorless and dslr.

Gary

The 35mm f1.8 got a great review on Lenstip. Less vignetting than Sigma art, had IS which Sigma doesn't have, focuses to 0.2 meters, and its a half pound lighter and more compact than the Sigma.

Tamron is bringing back the SP primes, and that is good. Tamron 35mm sells for a couple of hundred less than Sigma.

I have no feedback for how it works with the Canon Metabones IV to Sony E adapter for AF.

Its a new lens and nobody is giving it a discount yet but its still a bargain.

F2.8 makes them non attractive.

I'd take some f2.8 lenses in the Fuji X mount in a heartbeat if:
They have image stabilization;
They're compact;
They're inexpensive; and
They create excellent image quality.

Look at the Fuji 27/2.8... sells like 'hotcakes' and it doesn't even have image stabilization.

Back