Australia/New Zealand Melbourne Street Photographers

James Burton

Shoot into the light
Local time
10:13 PM
This guy seems to be Melbourne based. There are 35 shots here. He has a rather gentle non-literal style. The term "literal" didn't occur to me until I saw these in comparison to my own. I find it interesting to see what other people make of the same material that I have in comparison to me.

Any other Melbourne based steeters out there you've seen in your travels?

James

Last edited:
ChrisN said:
And I've seen this one before

http://www.in-public.com/site/jessemarlow/black_and_white/19.php

It was the lead illustration in an article about rangefinders in "Australian Photography", August 2005, p33. The caption suggests the photo was taken with a rangefinder.

Oh yeah. Well spotted!

BTW Have a look at the Trent Parke stuff on there. REALLY STRONG.
especially useful for those that know Sydney well.

James

ChrisN said:
The link is hidden in the text "This guy"

Yeah the colour diff between normal text and link text is not much. I'll try to keep that in mind next time - need to put in other clues.

James

Hi folks, interesting discussion - I tuned in 'cause my family and I will probably be working/living in Canberra for about six months in 2007 and I'll be on half time which means I'll have half time to devote to photography! So Austrailia really interests me right now. Hope to correspond more with some of you when the time gets closer.

Thanks, Yaron

Yaron,

Hello and early welcome to Oz. Canberra is unfortunately situated in a bad weather region: nasty cold Winter and short, but very hot, Summer. It's close to premier ski resorts and gentle coast lines, and Bega, the cheese Capitol. Now I'm sounding like a travel brochure.

I don't know of any serious camera shops in Canberra, but you're only four hours from Sydney (weekend trips are easy). To make up for it the Aus National Gallery (art), the National Portrait Gallery, the National Library are located in Canberra. Plenty of rolling exhibits to keep you busy.

Regs,
PJQ

Back