Mental prices for Plastic Fantastic cameras.

Slide film is my favorite, but it doesn't seem to be very popular now, even among RFFers.

My idea of a fun nostalgic film experience would be to take slides and contemplate them in a viewer or projected onto a screen. A slide show could be fun.

A P&S camera would produce fewer usable slides, however, than an adjustable camera used knowledgeably.

- Murray

The prices are nuts, I was looking for a Trip 35 last year to replace one that I sold 10 or so years back and my local camera shop had two examples: one was average/slightly below average condition that was AUS$150 and the better of the two was AUS$200... don't get me started on the prices of Bessas and the like either - they're just as inflated.

At least here it seems to be mostly down to young people (think born in the 2000s or shortly before) who usually apparently didn't even own a digital camera before and seem to have not the faintest idea how any of this works. At least that is my impression as I have stood by the counter waiting for my film while the ever-patient store-clerk plays back the same explanation to another usually young customer. They also usually opt to discard the film (I'm not gonna comment here otherwise this will turn into a longer angry screed) and have the scans directly sent to their phone also, I assume for Instagram or such.

So from that vantage point it does make sense that they end up picking cameras that do most of the things for them. Their only prior shooting experience is a smartphone of some persuasion and this is the closest. Some end up with film SLRs, but they seem to be the definite minority. This seems to be corroborated by the prices for cameras with some sort of metered-automatic mode going up the most. Of course fully manual gear is up as well, but not nearly as much.

The amount of traffic that Tiktok generates is absolutely mind-blowing. A profound Facebook post may get 30,000 likes. An insightful tweet may get 100,000 likes. A decent Youtube video may get 500,000 likes in a month. A viral Tiktok will get MILLIONS of likes in a few days.

Videos just seem to be the way that people learn these days. Why some dude fondling his M6 for 10 minutes, while saying nothing of note despite his mouth moving, gets so much attention, say, over a well-written and thoroughly-researched article makes me a little sad.

Mr LEICA!!!! Throw in some T and A and you have a photography’s youtube

Back