Metering with Leica CL + 1.5V battery

Robin Harrison

aka Harrison Cronbi
Local time
10:59 AM
Hi there,

I recently purchased a Leica CL with 40mm and 90mm lenses as the ideal partner on an upcoming cycle tour of China (along with a 2nd camera with a 28mm - TBD but probably a GR1). I've got the first roll of Tri-X in the camera at the moment, but I notice the meter is off with the installed 1.5V battery.

Comparing to other reliable cameras in my collection, I noticed 1 stop of under exposure (pointing cameras at a blank white wall). I half expected this given that the CL was designed to use a 1.3V cell. To counter this, I have simply set the ISO dial to 200 for this 400 film.

My question to other CL users is: Is this underexposure consistant and linear? By this I mean, does the 1.5V cell produce this 1 stop underexposure in all light levels, or is the relationship not that simple? I have heard that one can get cameras adjusted for 1.5V cells, but does this involve anything more than the calibration of the ISO dial?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Robin.

PS - As my first post I would just like to say a big well done to all the members for making this a thoroughly enjoyable site to read! And also- hands off! the R3a is mine!

Those Wein Air Cells replacement for the original battery work very well, as they are the correct voltage. Just take spares.

For a camera this old, it is quite possible that the meter has drifted off absolute accuracy anyway, and of course the accuracy of the shutter speeds, if it hasn't been cleaned and adjusted recently will also contribute to exposure inaccuracy.

The sunny 16 rule can be used to check meter accuracy. Aim camera at fully sunlit scene with mix of darks and lights. At ISO 100, exposure should be 1/125 at almost f16. At ISO 400, EXPOSURE should be 1/500 at almost f16.

Phototone

Back