Michael Reichman's explananation

[email protected]

Peter Kelly
Local time
9:41 AM
Sort of a mea culpa this morning on MR's site...interesting..

I received my M8 yesterday and I really don't see how Leica and the reviewers were not aware on the purple issue. It showed up on most of my first indoor shots as synthetic black stuff is pretty prevalent in a household,

Michael's explanation makes sense but is hard to condone

After reading Reichmann's statement, I am disgusted with Leica's management. They have tooled everyone with the premature release of the M8. They are going to have to do some big-time backflips to regain the trust of their customer base.

yes, and let's not forget to continue to support our professional wedding photographer..... and part-time (BS) reviewer ...

I sincerely hope he's enjoying his previously accumulated M8 user "income" and having a great time, probably somewhere in the Caribbean, holding his Cuba Libre in one hand and his "free" M8 in the other and laughing, which I doubt he even has ...

Last edited by a moderator:
If leica goes down the drain after all this, they deserve it....

I'l keep holding on to my MP though, sending the M8 back first thing monday morning.

MR is unbelievable

MR is unbelievable

I am incredulous at 1) MR's initial decison and 2) that he still thinks it was the right thing to do, and 3) that he whines about DPR.

The guy is an incredible webmarketer but these are flawed decisions, and remove any doubt about his crediblity or objectivity. :eek:

I will give him points for coming clean though, it would have been much easier to hide and say he didn't encounter the problems.

Compromised certainly, but still some integrity.

I posted time and again that that reviewers have to be nice to manufacturers to get free pre-release product. If they are not on good terms with manufacturers or they don't have a business. That most of us consumers trip over each other to read one of these first and exclusive reviews (as we are all guilty of) shows what absolute mugs we are. I heard similar stories to the about movie reviews CD reviews -you name it. The media's reviewing of any product is now totally corrupt and without credibility. There was more useful and reliable information on the web within days than there was from any professional reviewer.

Toby said:
I posted time and again that that reviewers have to be nice to manufacturers to get free pre-release product. If they are not on good terms with manufacturers or they don't have a business. That most of us consumers trip over each other to read one of these first and exclusive reviews (as we are all guilty of) shows what absolute mugs we are. I heard similar stories to the about movie reviews CD reviews -you name it. The media's reviewing of any product is now totally corrupt and without credibility. There was more useful and reliable information on the web within days than there was from any professional reviewer.
good call, Toby. We all live in a cloud-cuckoo-land called 'hope'...

I was astonished at MR explanation. I suppose I naively thought there just might be some independent reviewers out there with enough integrity to say it like it is. Guess I was wrong. That MR would say he went ahead and pubished a "review" because he "felt that potential owners needed to know what I had learned in my testing, without delay" and then take out the very information that buyers would want to know "because it's that's the proper way to deal with manufacturers" is just lame, or worse. I don't fault Leica at all and I'm sure the company will act quickly, but LL's ability to retain any integrity as a serious and independent review journal has been totally compromised.

I hear he'll change the name of his site to "illusionist landscape"

MR from his statement obviously was more peeved about DPreview getting the scoop than his article misleading M8 customers.. shows you his priorities...

and then I just browsed through the LUF and these guys are still proclaiming to be patient and trust Leica, as well as the reviewers for they had nothing to do with this.... ?

What an extraordinary bunch of people they are any company would wish such a client base.

Maybe I'm getting loopy in old age

The LUF are the sort of people who would thank you for an ice pack just after you kicked them straight in the nuts. (Or in leica's case promised to SELL them an icepack :D )

early adopters are masochists. everyone knows there will be bugs, but they can't resist the pleasure of owning one before everyone else.

Toby said:
The LUF are the sort of people who would thank you for an ice pack just after you kicked them straight in the nuts. (Or in leica's case promised to SELL them an icepack :D )

Yes, but the icepack would be handcrafted from angel's tears ;) and carry a premium over mass-produced icepacks from the Far East :rolleyes:

/voigtlander fan

While everyone is dumping on Leica, I think it's time to step back and bit, take a deep breath and relax.

This isn't the end of Western civilization. It's a product flaw, and with any luck it's something that can be corrected through software. Certainly, it should have been caught in development. Certainly, it wasn't.

Disappointing, for sure, given the price and the company, which for some people magnifies it. But it's still a computer device, no less than other digital devices. Look at the number of firmware releases for other cameras that now have become accepted business practice (Job 1: get it on the market. Job 2: let's see if it works).

Give Leica a chance to fix it.

Zeiss: did you even read anything? The bug was caught in development. It wasn't fixed and they knowingly delivered the flawed product to the customers hands for full price..

ZeissFan said:
While everyone is dumping on Leica, I think it's time to step back and bit, take a deep breath and relax.

This isn't the end of Western civilization. It's a product flaw, and with any luck it's something that can be corrected through software. Certainly, it should have been caught in development. Certainly, it wasn't.

Disappointing, for sure, given the price and the company, which for some people magnifies it. But it's still a computer device, no less than other digital devices. Look at the number of firmware releases for other cameras that now have become accepted business practice (Job 1: get it on the market. Job 2: let's see if it works).

Give Leica a chance to fix it.

If the problem is that the IR filter on the lens is too thin, how can it be fixed in firmware? If the IR filter needs to be that thin to be compatible with all M lenses, then can it be fixed without making some lenses obsolete? :eek:

Back