Micro four thirds lenses on Sony NEX

peterm1

Mentor
Local time
8:40 AM
I recently bought a Rokinon 12mm f2 wide angle, which comes in versions designed for Canon (the APS sensor), Sony NEX and Micro Four Thirds. The lens is fully manual focus and so comes equipped with the ability to adjust the aperture and focus without relying on proprietary software and special lens/camera connections. Making it quite flexible.

As it turns out, the NEX register distance is ever so slightly more than that of M43 and an adapter is available to allow you to mount an M43 lens. Of course unless you have an M43 lens like mine which is fully manual it is not very practical for obvious reasons. The more so if the lens does not cover the full NEX sensor or vignettes excessively.

Never the less with the above lens it not only mounts, it also covers the frame of the Sony NEX sensor (and of course I am not speaking of the full frame version) and so far as I can see (the adapter only arrived today) this lens does not vignette. It also seems to focus to infinity as you would expect being wide angle though the adapter comes with a warning that some lenses may not.

For me this is ideal. What motivated me to get it is the desire to travel light. The last time I went overseas I took an M43 camera plus an NEX 7 as backup. Although I like to shoot longer lenses generally, making M43 ideal, I did miss not having a wide angle lens on a few occasions. Given that he Rokinon has the full frame equivalent field of view of a 24mm on the m43 or 18mm lens on the Sony this is perfect for me when travelling light.

I just thought I would let people know as I previously had no idea that an M43 lens could even mount on a Sony with an adapter and others may benefit from the knowledge.

I just thought I would let people know as I previously had no idea that an M43 lens could even mount on a Sony with an adapter and others may benefit from the knowledge.

These Rokinons are made for a range of APS-C Sensors and in case of Fourthirds you have a bigger lens on the small sensor.

So that´s no reason to guess that native Fourthirds optics will behave the same as the Rokinon does when you mount it to a body with a bigger sensor ;)

These Rokinons are made for a range of APS-C Sensors and in case of Fourthirds you have a bigger lens on the small sensor.

So that´s no reason to guess that native Fourthirds optics will behave the same as the Rokinon does when you mount it to a body with a bigger sensor ;)

Yes I agree. And as I said most native M43 auto focus lenses focus by wire and the same applies to aperture so using any of these lenses on another camera is not really feasible on those grounds either.

But it is entirely possible that other lenses would work too. Possibly lenses out of China where there is a lot of lens innovation going on right now in the APS/NEX/M43 space with MF lenses. For people using both M43 and Sony NEX cameras the ability to cross mount lenses is as much a boon as it would be for say a Nikon / Sony user.

Many of the Chinese made manual lenses made for APSC has their M4/3 mount version. Actually many of those lenses are made in C mount in the first place, then a NEX or M4/3 mount is attached to them.

For instance:
Crude, original C mount version of a 25/1.8, covers APSC:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...7b&abbucket=10&sku_properties=5919063:6536025

More nicely packaged, in fixed NEX or M4/3 mount version:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...67zMk&id=525962995888&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Even with manual focus lenses from far-east, it doesn't make a lot of sense, due to the difference in register distance. You might get to infinity because it is a 12mm lens. You will not do that with a longer lens, even if there was an adapter - or it has to be a really thin one. ;)

Perhaps it's worth checking if the rear part of the lens can be replaced, though.

Yes, there is a lot of innovation actually from such chinese companies.
Think it will go on similar like in the 70´s where japanese manufacturers rolled up
the market with good and cheap lenses (and cameras? ;) ).

Back